1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Going to epoxy my fretless P neck. Which epoxy ?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by joesatch71, Jul 18, 2016.

Tags:

Fretless fingerboard which epoxy?

Poll closed Aug 10, 2016.
  1. Z-Poxy

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. System 3

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. joesatch71

joesatch71

Jul 2, 2016
    I already have Z-Poxy but do see many use System 3 , should i order System 3 instead?

2. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    The Z poxy has a slight amber tint, which may be fine over rosewood or other dark fingerboards. I think its easier to mix than system 3 too. Have you considered CA glue? It nasty stuff, but you can build it up in thin layers instead of having to make fingerboard dams. I've done a couple pedals with z-poxy, and its a mess, make sure you have a nice big, well covered work area.

3. joesatch71

joesatch71

Jul 2, 2016
    id be doing the dam method over a rosewood board. I wanna avoid bubbles, how's the z-poxy in respect to bubbles?

4. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I didn't have much in the way of bubbles, but a pedal is a pretty small area. I've read you can breathe on it, the CO2 pops the bubbles, also heard of people passing a propane torch very lightly and quickly over the epoxy, not enough to heat it, but it's supposed to pop bubbles. I remember a few tutorials on fretboard epoxy popping up on TB, try a search. The z-proxy has held up well enough on my pedal, can't say how well it works long term on a fretless. I have a Warmouth Jazz fretless with lined ebony FB, had it "glass kote" finished by Pedulla many years ago. It's some kind of Polyester, and it's held up incredibly well.

Epoxy Style Fingerboard Tutorial, Sort Of

Dave Neal likes this.
  5. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Seattle
    I've been toying with the idea of coating mine, but I'd want to definitely use some sort of polyester because that's what Mike Pedulla uses, if I recall correctly.

joesatch71 likes this.
  6. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I asked Pedulla what it was when I had mine done, he said it was "secret sauce". A search on polyester fretless coating might yield results. I did mine back in the 80's, and it still looks nearly pristine. I have pressure wounds on it, a little less abrasive than rounds.

joesatch71 and Marial like this.
  7. JRA

JRA where did the time go? Supporting Member

please, please, please make sure your board is level, in every respect --- or plane --- if you dam! i just learned the hard way = epic fail! i thought i was level, but not, and the results will make for a sanding project the rest of my natural life! ha! (i had no problem with bubbles!)

if i did it again: i would either try the CA, or i would 'paint' on thinner coats and then radius sand.

i'm really just saying: be careful! but also: please post pics of your project as it progresses! thanks. :thumbsup:

8. joesatch71

joesatch71

Jul 2, 2016
    i have failed awfully. I poured the z-poxy and everything was looking good. I used a heat gun to remove any bubbles then about 10 minutes later bubbles started appearing that couldn't be brought up because the epoxy was beginning to harden. I believe this was due to the porousness of the rosewood, probably it needed to be sealed first with CA or some light coats of epoxy. I spent 2 days removing the epoxy and now i'm back to square one. I'm going to do the CA method like this:

9. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Ouch! Painful. Probably explains why a lot of home- brew builders are going with CA. It's nasty, wear a respirator if you have one, it's quite poisonous. I'd try it on some scrap first so you get an idea how fast it sets up, some people use accelerator, some don't. Good luck with it, please post results so we can all learn from your suffering!

10. joesatch71

joesatch71

Jul 2, 2016
    finished,i'm pretty satisfied with the results. I used Zap CA several coats and leveled,polished. I will never even think of touching epoxy again.

pbassneck_zps02wwabub.

11. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Nice! That beats epoxy all day long, at least for home use. I'm hoping you wore a respirator, the CA makes my eyes burn even in small quantities. Gotta try this sometime.

12. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    My gosh, that's beautiful!

Makes me want to epoxy (or CA) my fretless neck just to make it look like that!

joesatch71 likes this.