1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Going to Grad school, upgrading bass.. HELP!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by richardeff, Apr 6, 2009.

1. richardeff

richardeff

Sep 9, 2008
    I'm a college student in the Southern California area and will be graduating in the June. I'll be heading to graduate school to earn my M.M. next year and am looking to upgrade my equipment. I've been playing the same Schumann bass since high school and this is my first time really shopping for a double bass.

My budget is around 8,000-15,000 with some flexibility. I'm hoping to break into the orchestral scene, but also have a real passion for solo and ensemble playing.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Who are some makers I should be looking at? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

-Richard

2. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Iwould say the best thing you can do from SB is to make contact with Lisa Gass at LA Bassworks, Jon at World of Strings in Long Beach, Gary Stein, Jerry at Lemur and Paul at Hammond Ashley north of San Diego and come down for a few days and PLAY A LOT OF BASSES. Also get in touch with Steve at the String Emporium in Phoenix. In that range, you have a lot of options - and not all of them with brand names.

Louis

3. MDEbass

MDEbass

Dec 15, 2008
    Houston
    Check out Robertsons and Sons in Albequerque NM. Biggest inventory in the country and a lot of good basses. I tried a few a couple months ago. Definately make a trip out to see these guys.