Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Going to Jam...WITH MICRO-AMPS!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jazzin', Jun 27, 2005.

1. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I'm going to start jamming with my friends at my friends house far away, and I won't be using my "big" amp. I'll be using a small mini 20W or 15W amp. I've done this before with negative results, but this time the guitarist will be using a small amp as well and the drums are electric (so we can just turn him down). There is also a saxophone player, he might end up being the loudest one of us all. It's going to be a very quiet jam session. We plan on doing this very often over the summer.

Anyone ever do this or something similar before? Did it work out? Was it fun?

I will report back once it's over, I have a bad feeling about it.

2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I tried using a 35w Peavey Minx 110 at a practice once. I could barely hear myself even with it pointed at my head. But to be fair everyone else had full sized stuff and our drummer was loud.

Never did that again!

But your situation is way different. Good luck and let us know how it worked!

:D

Joe.

3. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Electronic drums make for a huge difference. My current drummer has an electronic set (Rolands) and so we can practice at a MUCH lower volume than before. I don't even use earplugs for practice now. Although I still use them for gigs/

I don't think my amp has been turned up over '2' at my drummers house all year. And I know my guitar player hasn't. Generally when we practice now the loudest instrument is the singers tambourine.

I gotta find her a quieter tambourine.

4. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Maybe I'm just weird, but I found that completely hilarious.

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    +1 :D

Good luck, I love jamming at low volumes like that. You can focus less on being heard and more on making great music.

By the by, the sax will by far and away be the loudest there. Actually, a good sax player with a decent horn could probably actually play when you're using your Ashdown and still do quite fine.

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Don't laugh. Have you ever heard a searing lead played through a Pignose stack?

7. Jazzin'

Didn't really work. The amps were loud enough...but only once they were all distorted and farty. The bass amp wasn't able to produce and bass (Icouldn't feel the bass, I could only hear it), only mids and treble. The sax was by far the loudest thing. But we will continue to do this until we start jamming at my house. At my house, we will use the same electric drum set, I will get to use my "big" amp, and the guitar player will is buying a nice 100W marshall tube amp and a 2x12 soon. It will be alot better at my house.

8. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    He has if he's ever heard Chicago's '25 or 6 to 4' Terry Kath's solo on that was played through a Pignose, with the box open and the mic placed inside the box.

Be sure to wear earplugs then.

9. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Tell your guitarist not to get a 100watt all valve Marshall...

10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    i have an electric kit, and it sucks quiet. cause you hear the sticks hitting the pads more than drum sounds.

how about 60w, and a 20w guitar? :p

11. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    With the 'Teeth, most of our rehearsals are virtually acoustic with the bass being the only thing amplified. I borrow a small amp from the guitarist, which I think is about 30W but I keep the volume control about about 1. That works fine alongside a vocal or two, guitar or two, perhaps a touch of flute and the drummer playing snare or brushes.

I think it actually sounds pretty good and certainly works in preparing us for the low key open mic nights we've been playing at. Even the bass sounds fine (all six strings!). It's not trouser-flapping, chest thumping goodness but it's more than adequate to allow me to contribute to the songs.

YMMV if you're trying to work up a thrash metal set.... ;)

Wulf

12. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    100W all tubes is pretty loud! You could keep this kind of sessions up, but you should switch to something like 120W Bassamp, 20W guitar (depends if you're on tubes or not of course). Saxes can be pretty loud, what kind of sax is it?

13. Jazzin'

I wouldn't worry about the guitarist, he really doesn't care about being the loudest. He's often the least loud person. He just needs this 100W tube Marshall because he does gigs with another band.

14. Jazzin'

So now we will be jamming in my living room with old crappy drums which are loose and missing skins on the backside.:bassist:
    I borrwoed them from a friend who doesn't use them.

15. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Stack = >1. ;)

Terry Kath was one of the founding backers of Pignose. I remember him in some of their first print ads. He was also my main inspiration to pick up the guitar, and that led me to the bass.

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Kath ruled!

17. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I still miss his playing, I think the solo's to "South California Purples" and "Poem 58" were some of the best moments of rock guitar! Peter Cetera wasn't half bad either.
    ;)

18. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Wow—something we agree on! ;)

19. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Musta been those marijuana candies I sucked on tonight!
    :D

20. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    His solo on "Purples" on Chicago's Carnegie Hall album was really great, especially with how he and Cetera, Robert Lamm, and Danny Seraphine laid down this extended jam that kept evolving as the musicians followed each other through varying tempos, rhythms, etc.