1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Going to London, Amsterdam and Berlin next week (want suggestions)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by flexiblemile, Jun 20, 2017.

1. flexiblemile

flexiblemile

Apr 19, 2016
    Hey all!

The wife and I are going to those three cities next week. These are the dates:

London: june 28th (morning) to tuesday july 4th
    Amsterdam: July 4th to Sunday july 9th
    Berlin: July 9th to friday july 14th

We're looking to have as many musical based activities as possible so if you guys have suggestions about shows (from tiny shows to auditorium shows) or interesting bars, museums festivals, karaokes, whatever.

We're also looking to sample as many beers and local foods as possible so feel free to toss those in as well.

If anyone is in those cities and wants to meet up (in a public and lit space, surrounded by other people), that's cool too! I'm not the biggest poster around here but I'm still a good guy!

Thanks for all advice!

2. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    I'm not much help with the musical activities, but we had some great food when we visited London a few years ago. Anything you've heard about British food being bad is wrong. They now have a culinary scene that rivals any major world city.

If you're near Westminster Abbey, check out the Regency Cafe. If you're looking for the ultimate "full English breakfast," this is the best I encountered. Borough Market is also a great spot for food browsing, and make sure to get a sausage roll from the Ginger Pig. For a unique higher-end dinner, St. John is fantastic.

And yes, the pubs/beer are great. I'm generally not a fan of traditional English ale, but there are many others that are stellar. Duck into any decent pub and you're likely to find some.

Never been to Amsterdam or Berlin, but that sounds like a great trip all around. Enjoy!

GregC and knumbskull like this.
  3. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    Go and see "Thriller Live"....The Michael Jackson music show...recreates many of the videos...fantastic singers, dancers and killer band...seen it three times now

4. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    London:
    for interesting beers, try one of the Craft Beer Co pubs:
    Home

or Brewdog (silly name, nice beers):
    Camden

If your other half doesn't mind, the Bass Gallery in Camden is a great bass shop:
    The Gallery

Denmark Street is historically the music shop district, also worth a wander:
    Denmark Street: the threatened birthplace of the British record industry

... which puts you near several good food places:
    Smoking Goat | 7 Denmark St, Soho, WC2H 8LZ | Thai Barbecue, Dive Bar & Dining Room

Kanada-Ya

Flat Iron Steak

The Crobar is my favourite seedy rock bar:
    The Crobar – Bourbon, Beer & Rock Bar in Soho, London

Old Street/Shoreditch/Hoxton is the current "trendy" area, if you can see over people's haircuts then there is lots going on.

If you're into art galleries, the Tate Modern and the main Tate are free and have a ton of interesting stuff.

Berlin is amazing, I can't remember specific places off the top of my head but just explore and you can't go wrong. Prenzlauer Berg I remember was a good area. Everything is open basically 24/7 so you can have a fine time on your own clock. A word to the wise from my East Berlin friend: you don't have lunch in Berlin. Only breakfast, whenever you feel like it.

Amsterdam is also loads of fun. It gets very touristy but is great just to walk around/look/eat/drink.

GregC likes this.
  5. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    The Victoria and Albert Museum in London is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen in my life! My wife and I spent an entire day there! If you can get to it I personally will refund the admission price if you did not enjoy it! :thumbsup: (I don't remember but it may even be free.)

Have fun and be safe!

knumbskull and GregC like this.
  6. flexiblemile

flexiblemile

Apr 19, 2016
    Tickets bought for next thursday! My wife will love this!

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, everyone! They were all noted. Keep them coming :)

murphy likes this.
  7. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    In Amsterdam, don't smoke anything from the top row ... trust me. :wacky:

knumbskull likes this.
  8. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Sounds like a fantastic trip! I've been to London three times, I love it. I've also been to Amsterdam, but unfortunately we had less than 24 hours there. We found it fascinating, though (and we don't even partake, heh).

For London, I cannot recommend these folks highly enough: London Walks "London's best guided walks" Time Out - London Walks The guides are excellent and the prices are reasonable. The Jack the Ripper walk is the best-known one (and it's very good), but there are dozens of them centered around neighborhoods, historical events, music, etc. The ones that go into the major sites like the Tower of London, the V&A, and the British Museum might be the best deals because they get group ticket rates (thus, your net cost for the guide is minimal vs. going in on your own).

Totally agree on the food in London, you can find solid fare all over the place. Get Indian food (of course), go to Portobello Road in Notting Hill for excellent Italian, find a good gastropub, etc.

In Amsterdam, I recommend the main art museum: Rijksmuseum – The Museum of the Netherlands - in Amsterdam

Also, find a cruise to take through the canals, it's really interesting. Ours was provided through the cruise we were on.

murphy and knumbskull like this.
  9. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    top_rolling_papers_original.jpg

10. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    One more I just remembered: if you like food, we took a walking culinary tour with this company when we visited Rome. They also have tours in London and Amsterdam. It was so much fun, and it's a great way to see the city as well as eat some incredible things. Highly recommend.

Eating London Tours - Food & Walking tours in London

GregC likes this.
  11. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    I will look this up and probably put on my list for our next visit

12. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    If we are talking museums...the British Museum..of course

13. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    Their web site does not do it justice...There was an entire room of huge tapestries dating back hundreds and hundreds of years, an entire room of ancient lace and fabrics, an entire room of stained glass...a room of miniature paintings and on and on...it was wonderful!

murphy likes this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2020