1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Going to London

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by stockbass, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Englishmen,
    me and my wife are going to London this weekend (friday morning to tuesday evening).

We have nothing booked, beside going to the Tate Modern. What is going on in London this weekend? :ninja: Any cool concerts? :bassist: Any double bass shops that one should not want to miss? :eek:

best regards Thomas D:bag:

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Most of the DB shops are well out of the centre of London in suburbs...

I can recommend the South Bank as a good place to hang out
    - it has the National Theatre and museums as well as the Royal Festival Hall - this mostly has classical concerts.

But I like going along to "Commuter Jazz" - which is free and in the foyer bar - usually a good standard of band - entertaining and you can browse their record shops and they have nice restaurants/cafes - some with views across the Thames! :)

Commuter Jazz is every Friday at 17.15 ! And while you are there, you can see if there are any tickets left for the big concerts ...

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

PS - go to Embankment Tube station and walk over the bridge that goes across the Thames and the Festival Hall is right in front of you! :)

4. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
    My favourite jazz venue in London is the Vortex in Hackney. Not that central but right by Kingsland Dalston train station. They have a website with listings at http://www.vortexjazz.co.uk/
    this weekends gigs there include Jason Yarde, Joel Harrison & David Binney, and David Friesen.

Other venues that I've not been to, but that are more central and have good modern jazz include the 606 club in Chelsea, and Pizza Express in Soho.

Ronnie Scott's seems to me to be more of a tourist attraction/pop venue than jazz club these days, but I've not been there either, its just the impression I get from seeing who they're putting on.

Ray's Jazz is a great record shop, in Foyles Bookshop (right in the centre of town, just of Oxford Street)
    have fun!

5. Thanks! Keep it coming!

6. Bruce Lindfield

Rays is a good visit - Foyles is one of the best bookshops - it's actually in Charing Cross road - nearest tube is Tottenham Court Road.

Foyles is just opposite the entrance to Denmark street, which has vintage guitar shops and Argents is good for music books/sheet music! :)

7. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Totally nothing to do with bass, but the natural history museum has some cool dinosaur bones :cool:

8. Thanks everybody!
    /Thomas D
    (who will bring an umbrella)

9. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
  10. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
    well? what did you see?

11. Just back after my extended weekend in London. I have not been in London since I was 15. Back then my uncle had an apartment on Regent street (just next to the park). Me and my mother spent the whole summer in London. I'm a big fan of NY, and has had the feeling that London is not that interesting. Boy was I wrong.

London is great. It has it all. We stayed at a hotell next to Charlotte street in Fitzrovia (3 minutes walk to Foyles on Oxford street - and yes that is a great book store). The neighbourhood was super - lots of restaurants, pubs and cocktail bars. Me and my wife has been feasting on great food: dim sum, indian, japanese, thai, italian, afternoon tea at Browns hotel (30 £ per person!) - and bangers and mash with one or two bitters.

Actually we didn't attend any concert. Instead we focused on galleries, museums and restaurants. Tate modern, British museum, National gallery, the Portrait gallery, Natural histrory museum (yes those bones are quite cool!).

I did visit Denmark street. There I checked out some of the Markbass stuff that some has been raving about on this forum. I spent ten minutes or so with a small combo and a fender standard american jazz. I think that it had a good flat sound, interesting controls (there is some kind of tube emulator). Also it does not have that U-curve feel that so many modern amps have today. I believe that it would be a smashing combo with ub.

Unfortunately the british currency is very expensive (paying with swedish kronor), so shopping was not great. I had planned to buy some litterature - but found that I can buy those books back home at the same price or perhaps a little cheaper (!). I did buy a live dvd with taraf the haiduks that I have not seen before.

Thank you all again for your help. I will check out those jazz scenes when I come back. I might be playing in London later this year with one of my bands. Our website (www.weltklang.se) is unfortunately only in Swedish, and I have not updated those mp3s for a while. But you can listen to our latest stuff here: www.myspace.com/weltklang

best regards Thomas D