1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Going to make a tuner swap. Input needed!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gustobassman, Nov 3, 2013.

1. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    I've got the new Fender Modern Player Jazz V and i love everything about it except the tuners. The stock tuners on the MPJV have super-long tuning key shafts and i've already damaged one of them due to how much they stick out. They seem to add a little neck dive as they are pretty substantial in size as well. I have been doing research on what tuners i would prefer and i'm pretty much set on the Hipshot Ultralites.

Now by getting those, i do understand i will have exposed holes on the back of my headstock, as they are not a direct replacement for the tuners i currently have. Would i better off having my local repair guy fill the holes or is it an easy fix i can do at home? Like a simple "fill-sand-finish" kind of thing? Or should i just go with a direct drop-in replacement tuner?

2. Sollie7

Sollie7

Mar 13, 2011
    Woodstock, Ga
    Dip tooth picks in wood glue an stick them in the holes and break off...sand lightly if needed

3. gustobassman

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    Oh yeah... i forgot about that! The holes appear to be very small, i'm guessing a toothpick would work...

4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Personally i wouldn't fill them in case you sell it sometime with the orig tuners. Just get a wax wood touch up stick and put a dab in the holes.

5. pgolliher

pgolliher

Apr 27, 2010
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Hi- did you make the swap? Did it help the neck dive? Thanks!

6. gustobassman

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    Ha, no... i kept saying i would, but never did. The tuners ended up being pretty darn stable, they just stick out a bit. I'm not really noticing the neck dive anymore, i had only had the bass a few months when i posted that. I had some trouble keeping my E string in tune on a recent mini-tour in Costa Rica, so in the future i will probably have them swapped (check me in six months LOL :facepalm:)....

7. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    For the record, when I had the tuners on my icon changed out the luthier just filled the exposed holes with the old screws; it looks fine.

8. pgolliher

pgolliher

Apr 27, 2010
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I
    I ordered the cheaper Korean ones today. I set up the bass and am digging it, but the neck dive while sitting is still buggin me.

9. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Could be that huge headstock, or the lower rest for the knee if it's not hanging by the strap. The jazz 'leg rest' is farther back than on the P which gives the headstock/neck more leverage.

10. pgolliher

pgolliher

Apr 27, 2010
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Yeah - could be. My go to bass is the p-bass deluxe special - which is balanced perfectly both sitting or playing with a strap standing up. This bass is sooo close to being the perfect "sounds great but won't care if it gets dinged 5 string" that it should be well worth the $75 for the ultralite a since I only have $340 I to it right now

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  11. pgolliher

pgolliher

Apr 27, 2010
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I got the tuners in the mail- but they are really narrow compared to the holes in the headstock. I ordered the 1/2" which I thought would fit. Any advice??

12. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Do the ferrules and washers cover the holes on top?

If so, the best trick I've seen here is using plastic electrical conduit to fill the gap. It's hidden, easy to cut the right depth and you can adjust circumference by splitting them lengthwise. No one will ever know. Some guys here will undoubtedly be all over this, whatever, I saw where another guy on TB did this and totally solved it for him.

pgolliher likes this.