Going to Malaysia in March '19

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Razman, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Talk about a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity - I just found out that the Christian metal band I'm in has been asked to travel to Malaysia for a special outreach performance for one of our churches there. Apparently some recordings of our performances have circulated around quite a bit; our drummer was at a conference last week and was surprised by the number of people in our organization who heard of us. To say we're all excited is an understatement.

Supposedly we'll fly out Monday 3/25 and take a day to reset our internal clocks; Wednesday we'll see some of the sights there, Thursday will be set up and practice with fine-tuning and another rehearsal on Friday, with a performance that night and again on Saturday. We'll stay for some special services Sunday, and fly out Monday (times are all TBD) only to arrive stateside 2 hours later than our departure time. Funny how that works (and after reading the flat-earth thread I don't know how to process that lol).

So now I have a legit need to get my passport and shots, fresh strings, and another fiver to take with me as a backup (along with a Momo dual gig bag me thinks too). And since we haven't practiced much it will be some much needed therapy to "get the band back together" as other obligations have negated it. Oh, I heard that the pastor there organizing the event has music gear connections so that we'll be able to rent whatever we need - as we get closer I hope to find out what is available.

The TalkBass map is pretty sweet - any TB'ers there? I'm not sure where we will be performing at yet. I will try to document it as best as I can in @BassCliff fashion. Stay tuned!!!

Eric

2. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    That sounds like a fantastic opportunity...if at all possible you should try and stay a few days extra having travelled so far.
    Really looking forward to hearing how it all goes.

Razman likes this.
  3. This is AWESOME! I look forward to hearing and seeing all about it. Have fun.

Razman likes this.
  4. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Cool! A former bandmate of mine used to work there a lot and apparently a lot of the locals developed a taste for our band's very quirky tunes. It never quite made sense for us to go play there, but I would've loved to have done that, just for the food and the culture jolt if nothing else.

Razman likes this.
  5. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Eric!

Wow! Make a joyful noise! I hope and pray everything goes well.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Razman likes this.
  6. TheMaartian

TheMaartian Always forward. Never straight.

Sep 23, 2014
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Congrats, Eric!

You're gonna love Malaysia. I spent quite a bit of time there and really developed a liking for the people and the diversity. Our (Motorola) Christian and Muslim employees worked side-by-side with zero issues.

If you get a chance, you must try some Southern Indian curry. The little lunch places we went to in PJ (Petaling Jaya; north of the airport and south of KL (Kuala Lumpur)) served several varieties on a banana leaf. You'll want to ask someone to show you how to eat it with your clean (right) hand. If you don't, you'll be wearing it. :roflmao:

Razman likes this.
  7. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Thanks for the replies, y'all!
    OH, the food! That's right, hopefully we'll have some good eatin' over there. My wife is a little jealous but she has chronic back pain and is a southern girl and picky about her intake - she wouldn't survive the flight or the stay. But I'll survive just fine!

More to come...

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021