1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Going to Mesa, AZ in November! Locals - please chip in!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike McGibney, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Mike McGibney

Mike McGibney Not impossible ... Inevitable

Apr 13, 2005
    Essex, UK.
    Hi guys

On Nov 14th I'm visiting Mesa, AZ for two weeks - my wife is from the area, and we're staying with her family.

Now, I was wondering if anyone knew any great bass shops (I already know the Bass Place, Tempe!), any good music venues (e.g. jazz, funk) or just anywhere that we should visit around the Phoenix area?

I thank you in advance!

Regards

Mike

2. Mike McGibney

Mike McGibney Not impossible ... Inevitable

Apr 13, 2005
    Essex, UK.
    Boo. No-one?

3. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Mill Avenue in Tempe, and the ASU art museum, located conveniently near Mill Avenue.

Other than that, check the New Times link below. Plenty of great jazz and metal acts in the Phoenix area.

I went to college in Mesa, and lived there for years, just for the record. Enjoy the Sky Harbor airport while you're there, if you're flying in, too.

4. kegbarnacle

kegbarnacle

Nov 18, 2003
    Phoenix
    Mill is college bars. Average age is 22. I've killed a million brain cells there. Rula Bula is a decent "Irish" bar. Being from the UK, you might not feel the same. Ra is sushi and sake, Library is frat boy, Birsch is chain microbrew.

Scottsdale is swank clubs. Sugar Daddy's is a good bar - depending on what they have playing. Mickey's Hangover...

Haven't been to scottsdale in a while.

If you're here for one of the first friday's of a month, head for the First Friday Art Walk in downtown Phx.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Shoot-fire! There's three GC's there (Scottsdale, Peoria, and Tempe). What more do you need?

BTW, The Bass Place is a must-see.

6. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Dang, I missed it on my trip to AZ earlier this summer.

Anyway, as a person from the northeast US, I'd tell you to check out the scenery. I took a whirlwind tour between Apache Junction, AZ, to Desert Center, CA, to Las Vegas, Nevada. I absolutely fell in love with the area. In fact, if you aren't spending a whole lot of time around there, I'd say don't waste your time in a bass shop!

The Alice Cooper Restaurant in Phoenix ain't bad, either.

7. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021