Going to new EMG setup and lookin for feedback

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jmon, Feb 1, 2004.

1. jmon

Jan 27, 2002
    Jax Fl.
    I have a Spector 5 Neck-Thru (Korean made) with EMG hzs. Ive always used this bass to back up my Corvette 5 but its so comfortable to play Im gonna upgrade it.

Im thinking of putting a EMG-BQC System in it with 2 EMG-40DC pickups. Honestly I dont know alot about switching pickups. I played on a 76 P-Bass for years before I went to the Warwick 5.

Im playing Hard Alternative rock. Tuned to A standard on a 5. So I need something that can handle the low end without sounding like alot mud. I also mix in some slappy and tappy stuff as well.

Thanks for any help folks!!!
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Sounds like a good plan. The 40DCs are a good pickup, and they sound really good for slap. I use EMG 35s in my BEAD 4 string, which I've tuned down to G below B on a few occasions, and the EMGs are only gonna be as limited as your amp and cabs are.

I'm thinking of doing the same damn thing, actually. Korean Spector (NS2000/5) that I wanna upgrade here sometime in the future. I might go with 35s just because I know I like them, but EMGs are nice and easy to swap, thankfully.

It's just so darn comfy to play, y'know?
  3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm a HUGE EMG fan. Personally, I think that the EMG HZ's are great pickups. I had a pair with an Aguilar OBP-1 preamp & it sounded KILLER!!!.

Also, the HZ's can be wired a few different ways. It's a 4 counductor p/u & can be wired as a humbucker, single coil, phase switching, etc.

You can get alot of great sounds out of these pickups.
  4. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I'm in the process of building a P style 4 with the P reversed and a J in the bridge position. I'm also an EMG fan and am probably going to use EMG pups with the BTC "System" (3 knobs: Volume-Balance-Bass/Treble concentric). I could go to the 5 knob system (Vol-Bal-Bass-Mid-Treb) or the 4 knob BTS "system" (Vol-Bal-Bass-Treb. Same as BTC except Bass & Treble are separate pots). Any thoughts on one over the others?
  5. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    I really like my emg setup - great thing about their 3 band eq/preamp is that you can select the frequency for the treble cut - great stuff.
    Usually emg`s have very modern-sounding tone due to their low mids and highs - with that pre you can cut the highs in several ways, wich really open a new world of sound possibilities :)