Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Going to New Orleans on 7/11!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    :hyper: Going to Nawlins for a week starting 7/11. Wanted to check in with the local TB'ers to see about:

Music Stores
    Recommendations on Clubs and Resturants

Also let me know if youre band is playing there that week and I will try to catch your show!

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Music stores: New Orleans Music Exchange, on the corner of Louisiana and Magazine. If you must

Restruants: Juan's Flying Burrito, on Magazine St. Commander's Palace, on 2nd St (I think). Any old po'boy shop - Get the messiest roast beef sandwich ever. Make sure you eat a muffaletta while you are there, too. Best bar - the R Bar on Royal St. Go.

Music: Phil Degruy- dude plays a 17 string harp guitar. Insane! Brian Lee - legendary blind bluesman that plays on Bourbon St. Say hi to my buddy Cujo (the funny looking bass player) for me. Twangorama - 3, 4, sometimes 5 of New Orleans greatest guitarists jamming to some truly mind bending music. Rebirth Brass Band - too fun. Goatwhore - black metal madness. Crowbar - fatttest metal band in the land.

And for god's sakes, don't spend more than a day roaming the French Quarter! There's so much other stuff to see that most tourists miss because they spend their entire time in that tourist trap. And if anybody comes up to you and bets you they can tell where you got your shoes, just say "These ain't my shoes!" And please don't wear Mardi Gras beads out of season.

3. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks Ben. Good advice there. Any N.O. TB'ers out there?

4. have fun!!! i say do a whitepages online thing to find some good music stores there.

5. Too bad you missed the essence festival :D
    Talk about good fun!
    But never before have I felt so outnumbered.

6. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I lived in New Orleans for 5 years. As a white person, I was outnumbered all the time; New Orleans is 75% black. And you know what? Not only did I not care, but neither did anybody else.

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I grew up in Slidell (Northshore of Lake Pontchatrain), spent inordinate amounts of time in the city, lived in Baton Rouge for a few years, gigged in the French Quarter in a house band for a while.

Music stores that are worth seeing, er...honestly...NONE.

Food, follow the locals, they'll show you were the real good food is. If you MUST eat in the 'Quarter, Mike Andersons on Bourbon St. is the best in the area for local seafood. I used to eat there about 1-2 times a month when I was gigging down there, great eats. Avoid any other restaurant in that area, the ones that are affordable suck, and the ones that don't suck are not affordable. ;)

Go the Aquarium of the Americas, it's worth the afternoon, great aquarium, one of the best I've seen (I always go to aquariums when I can).

The Audubon Zoo is a cool visit too, as is pretty much of the area uptown, along St. Charles, if you dig old houses and whatnot.

Benji's advice on music is more tapped in than mine, I haven't lived in the area since '00 so I'm outta touch. Also, take the shoe thing to heart, some kid will try you. :p

Stay out of the Desire St. housing projects....

:eek:

:D

8. Don't eat crawfish anywhere in New Orleans unless you like the idea of eating really cold crustacians.

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I'm betting you're not from Nawlins....

:D

....s'wrong with cold crawfish? They're just as good cold! Oh, and they're not ALWAYS cold! :p Go to a boil, they're hot...sheesh. If'n ya don't know, don't talk 'bout it! ;)

10. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Never been to New Orleans, have you?

11. Go eat at Deanie's if you are in the French Quarter and want a moderately priced, decent meal. It's one block from Bourbon Street on Iberville. Their 1st location was out in the burbs but they finally bought a place in the Quarter. For the price, the food rocks, the place is exceptionally clean, and there are huge portions. I get the Crab Augratin every time I go, but have sampled alot of their food. I went there Memorial day weekend. Also in the Quarter is the Louisiana Music Factory. They have a great local, regional collection if you funk, jazz, swing, afro-cuban, blues, zydeco, etc.
    The muffalettas at Central Grocery are huge. There is always a line here, but the sandwiches are great. Its on Decatur, not far from the French Market.

Do a search on pollstar to see if any cool bands are playing. You may want to check the Tipitina's website to see who may be playing there too. the Maple Leaf and the Howling Wolf have some cool bands sometimes.

12. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks, all. I will report back when I return. 4 days to go!

13. I've been to New Orleans more times than I could possibly count. I live about 45 minutes away. I'm originally from the middle of nowhere Louisiana, where no one would ever have considered serving crawfish cold in a resteraunt a reasonable thing to do. And I, personally, don't know of any places in N.O. that serve crawfish hot, although I've deffinately eaten them there. I suppose officially I'm crawfish ignorant, if there is actually such a thing as a place in New Orleans that serves 'em hot. If that's true, I'm obviously a disgrace to my kind. It's kind of a bummer, come to think of it. I was actually going to have a boil on the 4th, but I couldn't find any live crawfish when the time came, so I just grilled burgers and shot fireworks and felt like a yankee.