Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Going to Nothing Studios

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    My band, DeadHandSystem, has recieved an invite from Trent Reznor (of Nine Inch Nails) to record at his multi-million dollar recording studio for free over the next two days. Yowza! We have his entire engineering staff working for us, and Trent has given us free reign to use any of the gear we want. We will be laying down drum and guitar tracks all day today and tomorrow. I was a little freaked out last night as we were setting up, but I think I'm ok today. Hopefully my chops won't clam up when I'm playing today; how embarassing that would be to have a millionaire rock star working on the mix on my rig and I can't even play!

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Wow, that is great news. Congrats!

3. HOLY CRAP. that is kickin' rad.

4. Nice one, well done!!

Can I ask; how did you get it? I mean, it's not like Trent Reznor does that every day (or does he?) - is your band just really amazing?:cool:

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Put in a good word for my band with Trent.:D

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, that's awesome! how did you manage that? inquiring minds need to know! :)

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    That....is sick.

I got free reign at a multi million dollar recording studio once, but only for a day....and it wasn't as known as nothing records, thats big stuff.

really awesome.

kicking web page btw

8. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I got free reign at a multi million dollar recording studio too....

and by 'free' I mean paid tons and tons of money.

9. Wow. I ... wow. It's Trent. Him and his bunch (IMO) really know what they're doing with recording. And that's a hell of a studio from what I've seen.

:eek: I can't say I'm not jealous. ;)

10. Write out "I am a lucky bastard" 500 times. Then go to bed without dinner.

Make the most of it.... that sounds like a rock nerd's wet dream.

11. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Here's a shot of me laying down some guitar tracks in the green room. We tracked for 12 hours solid today; finished drums on everything, half-way done with guitars.

How did we score this deal? Doug (the bassist in this band) works at the studio. Trent heard we were recording an EP and offered to let us have the studio for two days.

I'm wiped out. Need sleep so I can get up and do this all over again tomorrow.

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Hey, uh, tell Trent that Matt and The Monkey Mafia are a free agent right now. ;)

13. SWEET! that rocks, man! tell trent i'm available.;)

14. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I hate you right now. ;)

BTW, could you tell Trent that if he needs a bass player, just give me a call.

15. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Whew! I'm beat. No more recording at Nothing. Here's another shot of us in the studio.

Trent doesn't need a bass player by the way (he has some nice basses at the studio I played). He just does one take and then programers fix any mistakes. Gotta love that!

16. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    That's very cool. Where is the green jealous emoticon?

17. :p might be what you're looking for :)

Awesome, man, just awesome! Good luck on the EP!

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I don't know Trent's label that well, I know NIN and Marilyn Manson are on there... but... you guys don't look too... freaky. No offense. :)

19. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm only freaky on the bass.

20. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Lucky you. :)

I don't know whether you're from New Orleans or just visiting, but stop by my dad's art gallery a couple of houses over from Trent's. It's called Space Gallery. They are totally anti-pretentious. If you go, sign the guestbook, and say conical johnson sent you. And tell Trent to go to a gallery show! First saturday of every month.