Going to order a ibanez btb405

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Suckbird, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    It looks to be a great bass, good price, great look and by what i heard from reviews the sound and versatility!
    I was also reading some reviews about the 4-stringed and some of them said the E-string was quitet compared to the other strings, is this an issue with the 5-stringer too?

I know people says no bass is better at any music than another one but i keep hearing the srx is a rockbass etc..
    and i'm playing metal and some classic stuff.
    The reson i wont buy a srx505 is because people says the B-string is rubbish and sloppy, but the btb has a good and tight one.

I wont be able to try the bass before i buy it (sweden) but i get a 30-days return guarantee, costs 23eur to send it back though.

Does it sound like a solid choice?

Also, i cant stop looking at this picture:

Thanks, Sam.
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yeah its a solid bass for sure. Congratulations.
  3. I had one. Great bass for the money. That sweepable mid is radical! You should be able to dial in the sound you need. If it's not your cup of tea, the used market on these things is OK. I was able to sell mine locally when I stared buying my Laklands :bag: All joking aside, you'd be hard pressed to find a better value in that price range brand new. Just my $0.02!
  4. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Not very easy found them used in sweden, i've found one and it costed 570$ while a new from german shipped costs 770$.
  5. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    I also heard that the neck on the 4 was close as fat as on a 5string so the fiver must have a fat neck?
  6. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I have the SRX505 and have been very pleased with it. Your info is right, the B string can be somewhat sloppy but does tighten up with some adjustments and string replacements (I use TI flats). The BTB is also very cool, recently spent quite a bit of time with one and was very impressed with it.

The neck isn't particularly thick for me, but I spend about 30% of my time playing upright bass, so no neck seems especially fat to me.

I wouldn't hesitate to get it, they're solid instruments.
  7. Sorry I didn't realize where you were, I need to pay attention!
    Good Luck to you!
  8. If you mean wide, yes it is, but that could be a good thing if you like 4 string spacing and you have large hands. From front to back the neck is very nice because it is asymmetrical, meaning it is thinner on the bottom than it is on the top. Another very nice feature!
  9. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    My SRX's B sounds and feels fine once I put some higher tension strings on it. Where it falls on it's face is the weakness of the electronics. and I mean it falls on it's face hard enough to hurt something.

BTBs are solid, though. Good choice, there.
  10. rolnaldo33

Mar 24, 2004
    one of my buddies has a bass very similar to that, same brand and all, ill tell ya, it'll be a good buy
  11. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    I dont have very big hands but i guess i should be fine!
  12. BlasphemyArise

Jul 15, 2004
    i played one at GC, it's a nice bass with a tight B string i almost considered getting it instead of a Spector Legend 5... ALMOST...
  13. are the tuners, knobs, and bridge on the btb 400 series plastic??

im looking into a BTB406, and in that picture they look plastic. anyone have any confirmation on this?
  14. Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    The hardware is satin nickle or chrome or something. Not plastic and very classy looking in person. I have heard it can stain or tarnish but mine never discolored at all.

I had a BTB 405 for a month or two and loved it at first, but always seemed to fight to get the tones I wanted from it. I ended up with an old Guild Pilot that seems to sound great no matter what I dial in. I have a feeling that the BTB405 electronics are just so powerful that the natural sound of the bass can't show through. If you like hi-fi sound the BTB should be wonderful for you. I really did love the way it played and looked. Great looking basses I think.
  15. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    First of all, let me tell ya that I`ve never seen that color (the one showed in your picture) in a BTB before. Looks awesome.

I really like mine, and it`s a great bass for the money. I`ll tell what IMHO are the main issues of the BTB (pros or cons, depending on the player).

- 35" scale. I took me some time to get used to it. A bit hard if you play a lot of scales in the first 4 frets.
    - Variable Mids. For me it`s just addictive. My first bass with that feature. It changes your tone radically in a second. However has no fixed positions, so may be a bit tricky to remember the "exact" position you used.
    - Weight. It`s a heavy bass. Never had the chance to play it live, but might be a problem if you play long gigs.
    - String spacing. Wide spacing. Same separation than an average 4 string. Great if you like to slap, a bit harder of play octaves. Stretches you hand a bit more.
    - Aesthetics. It`s a big bass, no slim body. However it looks modern and classy (reminds me some MTD)
    - Sound. Pretty versatile. You can dial many tones and I`ve it easy to cut through the mix in live situations.

Good luck

Just my .02
  16. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    I just ordered it and with some accesories! :hyper:
    Thanks for the input guys!
  17. Great, post when you get it and let us know how you like it!
  18. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    For sure i will, if i dont get problems as las t time i tryed to use credit card :bassist: :spit: