Going to quit drinking.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by TUEP, Jan 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. TUEP

TUEP

Apr 8, 2007
    After spending my 20's and half my 30's as a consistent beer drinker I have decided to give it up. It's nothing to do with a New Year's resolution, just the other day I was sipping on beer feeling sorry for my since getting laid off of work. Something got me. I thought "What am I doing? I don't even enjoy this anymore." Then I got to thinking of all the money I wasted over the years, and the damage drinking has done to my family and friends. I dunno something just clicked with me, and I have lost all desire to drink. Used to be if I was going to get snowed in on a weekend I would want a stockpile of beer to last me, and as long as I had hotdogs, and Ramen I would survive. Today when I went to the grocery store, I didn't even think about buying beer, I got some veggies, steak, and yogurt. It's kind of weird how I just lost the desire to drink. What I am going to do is take my beer money and just put it into savings, now that I got a new job and payoff some old debts. Loved drinking beer for years, but the hangovers are worse, it is expensive, and I am sure I can do something better with my time.

2. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    good luck with it...really...

I don't drink beer but you can send me any good Scotch you have to get rid of. :)

Alik likes this.
  3. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I only ever really enjoyed a beer after working up a good sweat on hot summer days and then chugging a cold one in about 20 seconds. Then relaxing with a second.

bobba66 likes this.
  4. TUEP

TUEP

Apr 8, 2007
    LOL!! Quit drinking liquor a long time ago.

DirtDog and DavetheDude like this.
  5. Barefoot greg

Barefoot greg

Apr 24, 2016
    With the exception of Caffeine and tobacco, I've been completely sober for the last 18 months. Recovery is actually what led me to take up a new hobby, which is how I started playing bass. After all I needed something to spend all that extra cash on haha
    But I digress, I can't express enough how much my life has changed for the better since cleaning up. Best of luck to ya brother!

Gaolee, pedroims, wesonbass and 4 others like this.
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    That's about how it went for me too.
    I even remember asking myself one night the same question you did.
    I wish you well bro, and hope this turns out the way you'd like it to.

-Mike

7. Bent77

Bent77 Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Desert, Colorado
    8 years sober here, it's all good

bobba66, BboogieXVII and TUEP like this.
  8. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    When I went from sitting at the bar everyday after work to not drinking, it was because other things got in the way of my bar time. I signed up for a couple of classes at the community college after work, got my first computer (late 90's) and a couple other time consuming things. After a couple of months the amount I noticed that I had a lot more money than I normally did.

I still have a drink now an again but I limit myself to 2 max because I would end up losing count after 3. Old habits don't die...

9. twinjet

twinjet Powered by GE90s; fueled with coffee. Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I used to down a six pack a week, sometimes two. I cut back, down to a six pack a month. Not because I had a problem with alcohol, nay, I enjoy a crisp Hef or a wheaty Belgian. But instead, I saw my dollars go to my waistline. And so I don't drink as much.

Good luck.

10. Christine

Christine Guest

Aug 3, 2016
    I used to drink fairly heavily, now I drink less often not at all. The big difference to me other than saving money and waistline is feeling generally better/healthier and more alert.... The other benefit is I actually enjoy a drink more now than I did then (said the guy still sobering up after a 2 week bender over Christmas :roflmao:)

TUEP likes this.
  11. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive

Apr 23, 2014
    Once in a blue moon, I'll have a tipple. Not my bag either, OP. Boozin' got its marching orders twenty odd years ago. I regret nothing. Stick with it.

TUEP likes this.
  12. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Congratulations! I have been struggling over the last couple years trying to quit. I have been cutting down, but its still too much.
    Don't be surprised if 3-4 days in, you feel like crap. Stick with it and you will end up feeling much better in the long run. Plus, the cash saved is substantial.

John B jr, TUEP and Tbone76 like this.
  13. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderators Local A440 Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Under the flight path

Still rooting for you and hope you'll find an AA group that suits you better, FWIW.

bobba66 and TUEP like this.
  14. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

If you don't want to drink, don't. It sure won't hurt you!

Problem solved.

-Asdfgh- and TUEP like this.
  15. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    I prefer smoking to drinking.

John B jr and Killed_by_Death like this.
  16. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    At this point, I'm wondering how many years of drinking I have left in me. I don't do it much anymore (maybe 1 or 2 a week), but if I go past 2 of anything, I'll definitely feel it the next day. Me and the wife went out with some friends for dinner last night, and I had 2 glasses of red wine. Closer to a glass and a half, really. I barely slept last night, and I don't feel great this morning.

It's getting close to the point where ONE is going to be my limit. Getting old is fun.

17. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Good luck with it!

18. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Good luck. When you go from wanting something because you like it, to needing it, it's not good.

slobake likes this.
  19. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I had a similar realization in my mid-20's and abruptly gave up alcohol for good when I turned 28. Every single aspect of my life miraculously began to improve and I have never once missed drinking. In my experience, it does take a certain fortitude to establish a new identity as a non-drinker. If you stick with it, you will be amazed and disgusted by how omnipresent and ubiquitous beer is in our culture. Drinking is borderline mandatory in many circles. You have to be prepared to reinvent yourself completely, on your own terms. Good luck!

20. TUEP

TUEP

Apr 8, 2007
    Especially in music.

Killed_by_Death likes this.