Going to San Diego Next Month

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by CrashClint, Jul 10, 2008.

1. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    I am going to San Diego next month for a conference. I would like to rent a motorcycle, does anyone know of a place that can rent one?

also, besides visiting the Lamp district and visiting the zoo, what other cool things are there to do?

Thanks

2. Croox

Croox

Sep 16, 2007
    South Side Chicago
  3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Phil's BBQ.. Trust me on this - go there.

4. If in Encinitas while biking, hit up Juanita's for some tacos.

5. If you don't mind dropping some money on lunch, go to George's in La Jolla and get a table on the upper deck overlooking the ocean. Great spot.

6. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
    Casa Guadalajara is awesome, you should go eat there.

Really good margaritas. Don't ask me how I know. Check out Coronado Island. The USS Midway is real cool. Balboa Park is great, there's a hotrod museum there, I like it a lot. As said, take the trip up to La Jolla. And then, there's of course Sea World if you're into that kind of thing.

Oh and there's some Italian restaurant that I forget the name of. It's on or near Tony Gwynn street. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

7. Dangle

Dangle

May 28, 2008
    If the bulbs in the lamps are RED then that's a sweet district.

8. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
  9. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
  10. CrashClint

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    I will have my wife with me so I will have to avoid the Red Light district. :D

She loves Mexican food, so I know we will be checkout the restaurants. I will probably gain ten pounds while I am there, especially if I go to the brewery, I can't turn down a good beer.

I appreciate all the suggestions, thanks!

11. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    Guadalajara Grill in Old Town has great mexican. I had my rehearsal dinner there and it's good for walking around old town to burp out the extra room if you have any afterwards and hit O'Hungry's for an after dinner beer.

If you go to Stone, tell the brewer's what your tastes are as they know how to hook you up. Don't order by name or alcohol content. Fun place, just don't expect to drive out.

Gaslamp is fun for bars, not great for restaurant quality (pricey, tourist trap). If you like guinness and real irish pubs, The Field is the place. I left there last night around midnight. If you want one hell of a big a$$ strong drink, go to Mr Tiki and get the bowl and tell them you want it to have some kick. One starts the night off right, two can end it pronto. If you want to see a younger college crowd in jeans getting drunk, go to Pacific Beach.

Hit me up if you want more details, I live in SD.

12. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
    The Field ROCKS! Lots of character/atmosphere, and the food is decent.

+1 on driving out of Stone... their beers are generally in the 6-7% ABV range (i have a couple of their 10% offerings :eek:) but they're delish, they sneak up on you quickly :cool:

13. Moe's in Hillcrest has some of the greatest burgers IMO. Though I will warn you; it does have a reputation of being called HoMoe's. With that being said it's great food and well priced and more than enough to satisfy your hunger.

You can also visit Coronado Island. I can take you on a tour of an aircraft carrier if you would like. Most people never go on a naval vessel and it would be an oppurtunity to go see one while here. I can help you with that one.

And if you have the time you can go to Humphreys. They have live music every night and it's always kickin'. There is a cover charge but it's def. worth it.

Just a few things that are pretty cool to do and see the city as well.

14. HashbrownCOBM

HashbrownCOBM

May 6, 2008
    Ah yes, the whales vagina. Great town. You stay classy.

15. CrashClint

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    There seems like there is a lot to do, I may have to see if I can extend my stay more than a week. I can see myself gaining 10 pounds with all the food places you guys have listed.

Are there any good instrument shops? I know of Bass Alone, but I think they are just selling out of someone's house now and it is by appointment only.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021