Going to see Freekbass tonight

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SnoMan, Dec 11, 2004.

1. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Yep, as the title says I'm heading out as soon as I get out of work to see Freekbass. He's playing at a local bar called the Empty Glass (www.emptyglass.com) and a local favorite of mine, Noizbox (www.noizbox.com) will be opening for them.

I hope to give a lil review once I get back in. It's a small place, so hopefully I'll get a chance to meet the dude as well :bassist:

Should be a fun evening.
  2. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Oh my god

just damn

I now have a person I will list as an influence on bass

They were awesome.....

I was able to stand basically right in front of freekbass himself the whole night.....****ing rock

He plays his two custom bootsy-esque basses through 6 stomp boxes.

2 tuners boss and korg(I think)

1 EH Qtron (I must own one)

1 Boss Metal distortion (gonna have to buy one of these too :D )

1 EH bass micro synth

He played through two pre's(could have been effects processors, couldn't read them to tell) a Kustom head and 2 2x15's

I am thoroughly entertained.

The whole band is extremely talented.

They did a few covers that I was familiar with, but I don't know the names to off hand.

I was able to talk to all the guys after the show. They were all really awesome people, very friendly.

Oh...almost forgot. I was sporting(hate that term) my brand new Talkbass Got Bass shirt. Freekbass dug the **** out of it and wanted to know how to get one, so I of course directed him here, if he remembers will be another story. One of the keyboardists took a liking to it as well.

I also got Freekbass to sign a CD I bought, and caught the drummer too....the other guys were busy getting their swerves on....so I didn't bother them for autographs. Freekbass is a very cool dude. He also confirms my belief(which I follow with my derby, which I was wearing) that bassists should wear cool hats. :D

I had an awesome night..I will see them again....I have to create a funk band now also.....man...

If you get the chance to see them. DO IT

you'll be glad you did
  3. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Sounds Interesting. If they hear this way, I'll check 'em out.
  4. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I've been listening to "The air is Fresher Underground" all day today at work through my MP3 player. At first I didn't care for it, but it's really grown on me. I still feel that it's overproduced and really loses a lot of the energy and funk that Freekbass brings live, but it's still very good.

I think there may be a few too many guest appearances and that may have taken away a bit... this is just an opinion and even at that, it very well may be wrong. Some pieces have almost a hip-hop feel to them at first, but you can realize the groove and funk after settling into it.

I'd love to get some bootleg recordings of them.

The main purpose of this post is this: I don't suggest being too quick to judge them by their CD alone.