Going to see George Carlin in a couple weeks...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Basschair, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Okay, so it's about a month away, but that's alright. This will be my first time seeing him live, but I do remember one standup act that I saw on TV years ago. My mother had just died, and my father, sister, and I took a trip to DC to get out of the house. After a full day of walking the museums and such, we sat back in the hotel and watched. I was a bit shocked because I was 11 at the time, and I couldn't believe my dad was letting us watching it. The only joke I remember was the retarded guys and the roller coaster, and it was so completely non-pc, I was pretty blown away. I couldn't stop trying to tell that joke to my friends for months to come.

Anyway, anyone else seen him live?
  2. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I saw his last DC show, and was *slightly* disappointed.

I think his comedy, especially about words, names, and the like, is second to none. I think he's one of the funniest people ever.

But, this time around he was fresh out of rehab (not that rehab is a bad thing, folks) and the entire opening bit was one of his monologues of juxtaposed cliches (Hey, I'm out to lunch but I'm in the know, I'm on the wagon and off the hook, etc....), poised as a feelgood introduction to the show. It was interesting, but not particularly funny. He got into some funny material after that, starting after the monologue with a good'n'vulgar one-liner that was more typical Carlin of course.

I laughed throughout the show, sure, but not as hard as I've laughed at GC material in the past.

"Now here's another list of the kinds of people whose mothers should have had medical plans that included abortion...." None of that stuff, which I missed.

Good luck on getting a winner of a show, tho!