Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Going to see Stanley Clarke Tuesday!!!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by FatFunker, Apr 11, 2003.

1. I can not wait, perhaps the greatest bassist of all times is coming to a small club in my hometown on tuesday, When i say small i mean like under a hundred. The tickets are $25.00 bucks but I would pay $250.00, The cool thing is we play there all the time, (the man will be playing on the same stage as I did):D Hey wait a minute when we play the cover is only $2.00 :( ;) Has anyone else ever seen him, I wonder if I have any chance of meeting him? He is playing 2 shows in a row and I have tickets to both.

Welll on wednesday I will let you know how great it was on wednesday.:bassist:

2. I'm getting ready to go see him on 4/20 (nudge, nudge, wink, wink). I have never seen him before and am very excited.

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Stanley's new album '1 2 To The Bass' comes out tuesday as well.........I hope it's not happy jazz!
    He has Armand Sabal-Lecco playin bass in his touring band.......he should be worth price of admission alone! The drummer is Gerald Brown who I've seen many times going back to the 70's with Stanley.......and he is a badass too! Have fun. should be great:bassist:

4. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Hey, I was there last night at Milestones, I caught the second show. What that great or what??? :) And they are all such incredibly nice guys. Amazing! :)

I'm still buzzing from it! :)

5. That just may be the most talented bad ever put together. What about that violen player!!! WOW:bassist: Did you hear stanley on Wease? He seems super cool!!!

6. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Yeah, I was blown away by the violinist. I was blown away by all of them! They were all amazing! :) And the way they were together on stage--wow!! You could just feel the love and respect and happiness, and they were so tight, it was something else!

I didn't hear him on Wease, but I got to talk to everyone but the drummer and the keys guy (who played the weird sounds) last night while they were hanging out in the bar. They were all really nice. Stanley told me that I'm going to need to get a different bass soon. Hahaha, okay!! If Stanley says so, then I have to do it! :)

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    He's in Atlanta tonight!

8. I saw the show in ATL last night...first time I had seen Stanley.

First of all, he's huge! No problem stretching 5 frets even at the 2nd or 3rd fret!

He played his piccolo Alembic (tuned up a fourth) for almost the entire show. It was kinda weird, because when they played 'Lopsy Lu' and 'School Days' they played them both in A, rather than E.

Wow is he fast!

And yes, Armand Sabal-Lecco was a badass...I would like to see him leading his own band!

Two (minor) things about the show that didn't set right with me:

1. Stanley was WAY louder than anyone else, even when he was comping.

2. He was kind of a show-off. Yeah, I guess he deserves it, but he sorta had that 'I'm so very good, check me out' kind of attitude.

9. I got to see Stanley Clarke a couple of weeks ago in a smallish club here in Chicago.
    They had a young violinist(22 years) whose playing reminded me of Jean Luc ponty's playing LONG ago..also, was a treat to hear and see the incomparable Armand Sabal-Lecco holding it down for Stanley.......what a show!!!!
    The new CD should be out by now.....

10. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Here's my thoughts....

The concert was pretty good. The band was very tight and held together well. I was really impressed by Mads Tolling, the violinist that, according to Stanley, was playing his 9th professional gig. Shades of Jon-Luc Ponti. Nick Smith and Eric Carter on keys and Armand Sabal-Lecco on bass rounded out the band. Armand played a chocolate brown Music Man Sabre that looked like an aged and worn copy of the one I owned for about 20 years.

The highlights of the concert for me were...
    1- A fantastic rendition of Lopsy Lu
    2- An incredible 15 minute upright session
    3- A "bass off" with Stanley and Armand Sabal-Lecco. Very nicely and tastefully done. Not like the SNL skit

My biggest disappointments were....
    1- Too friggin' short. They played a little over an hour and a half.
    2- I don't recall hearing ANYTHING off the new album or anything from the Return To Forever days.

If you get a chance to catch the tour, DEFINITELY DO SO!!

Peace,

James