Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Going to see Weezer...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rien, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Rien

Rien Guest

Oct 6, 2001
    Dreamland.
    tommorow.

Don't know why I posted this, I guess i'm just wondering if there are any other Weezer fans here.

So...

are there?

2. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    I love em and Scott Shriner is probably the best bassist they've had. He really can make a song sound more upbeat.

BTW, I'm seeing them on August 9th in CA.

3. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    hell yeah
    they put all their songs on a computer and it pops out a randomized setlist - its pretty sweet. they're playing alot of pinkerton/blue stuff - which rocks, alot of bass heavy stuff too thanks to scott. alot of the fans hate him, but i happen to love him, he rocks hard.

i saw them the 23rd in holmdel, nj, and they rocked. you'll have fun.

check out sparta too - the opener - i thought they rocked, more of a hard-nu-metal type band, but still rocked.

-jp

4. Rien

Rien Guest

Oct 6, 2001
    Dreamland.
    I like Scott alot, i think he's a great bassist.
    I'll see sparta, but no strokes. Oh well.
    I get to see Weezer!
    MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm......

Pinkerton......

5. TheLastMinute

TheLastMinute

Jun 23, 2002
    Their so rad man, I saw em about two weeks ago in CT. They rocked. The only complaint I had was that they only had a one song encore. I mean I saw the get up kids a month ago and they encore'd with at least five.

6. Rien

Rien Guest

Oct 6, 2001
    Dreamland.
    Well, Weezer was great.
    They were very tight and had a great sound.
    Also Sparta was great.
    But one band that stood out for me was Hometown Hero. They sounded great. Todd, the bassist was playing out of and Ashdown rig that was very sweet sounding.
    And, the Special Goodness was great. I actually met their Bassist. He was playing a 1960 Percesion.
    I actually met him by yelling at him on stage, asking him what year percesion bass it was, and we got into a conversation about it. He's also the bassist from Sugar Ray, which is pretty cool.

7. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Awesome. I really like hometown hero, theyd ont have much recognition though.

So how was scotty!?

8. Rien

Rien Guest

Oct 6, 2001
    Dreamland.
    Scott was great!
    His tone sounded awesome, and he nailed Tired of Sex, which was cool. He's possibley their best bassist, altough I still really like Matt.

Speaking of which, I wish The Rentals would get back togeather. They were neat.

-rien-

9. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    matt was kinda weird - the falsetto stuff freaks me out :p

10. oh man, no way, the falsetto harmonies in catchy quasi-punk stuff was what made weezer so fun, fresh and cool originally.

IMO, the last two weezer albums have sucked, endlessly. they're just awful. they're so watered down, so much more predictable, much much less agressive (dont get me wrong, agressive music does not equal good music, but a total lack of emotion in the songs is bad, the songs sound so static).

i used to be a HUGE weezer fan, and i think the turning point for me (this is the bad kind of turning point) was when i saw them live, almost 2 years ago. that was the first tour they'd done since their long drought of activity after releasing pinkerton, so it was just a little bit before the green album came out, i think. it was one of the worst live shows i've ever been to. the songs sounded the EXACT same as on the cds and rivers not only did not move a muscle during the show, he didnt even change facial expressions...absolutely pathetic attempt at an entertaining live show. and it really didnt help that Dynamite Hack opened.

i hope your live show weezer experience is better than mine was...

Joel

11. yeah i guess i am, i'd really like to see them with nef herder, i love nerf herder. "santa has a mullet" is sooo funny by nerf herder. "...i always thought santa was from the north pole, but he must be from canada..." bahahaha. i have a few weezer cds mind you, i dont know which, i have too many cds. (less than 90, but thats like 75 i dont listen to often). i have the green album and pinkerton, and i think i have the blue album...or i lent it out or something...hmm...
    peace&plaid
    -Shoonk

12. just_a_poser

just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002
    I want to see Weezer, but I can't! ::runs off crying::

=w=

Weezer Rocks!

13. I rotate my life around weezer.

Not really, but they are a big influence for me. Good stuff.

ohhh.....this dope nose..ohhhh....

14. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    I SAW EM I SAW EM!

Awesome, and being in LA made it a whole lot sweeter. They actually performed the rare live Only In Dreams. Scott Shriner is the man! He closed the show by screwing round with his stomp boxes to create tons of feedback.

15. I agree completely. The green album was godawful, and although Maladroit is many times better, it still blows compared to the first two albums. I miss Matt!

--jeff