1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Going to Start Tracking Tomorrow: Critique Tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jufros, Mar 30, 2009.

1. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
  2. Will you be slapping in that rock band?

3. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    I'm not trying to be a jerk, but really, listening to this doesn't help at ALL because everything changes in the mix. I know, it doesn't help, but it's the truth. Don't waste too much energy worrying about the tone now.

We can critique it for you once you have some tracks down.

4. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    very very rare slappage. not that kinda band.

5. Well that clip seemed to be solely slap, so it is hard to judge the plucking tone.

6. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    I was playing with my fingers..

7. b4nny

b4nny

Aug 24, 2008
    Bellevue, WA, USA
    I think this tone sounds good in the clip you posted, but it sounds like it would easily be buried by the guitars.

8. lanceropolis

lanceropolis

Mar 10, 2009
    So. Cal
    +1

It also was a bit "sloppy" sounding to me. Not your playing, but it seemed really clanky to me. IMHO.

9. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    I think you need more of the fundamental in there to carry the movement. You can blend this tone with a more direct tone to shore up the low end

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    oops

11. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I like the cheese riffage. It does sound thin in the recording though, which may get lost in the mix. My personal preference here > try that same cheese riffage with some fat honking tone :D

Good luck. Sounds good though, clank and all (if that's what you are going for)

12. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    +1.

Let the engineer worry about getting the tone right.

13. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    It will be lost but probably EQ'able
    Can't tell you about the bottom but pull some 3K to get rid of the extra clank and add some 300 - 600 for more of a round, full sound; also guess that some 100 - 160hz will need to be added for bottom but too hard to tell with my computer speakers.
    Adjust the action up some for less fret noise.
    You have a good solo'd tone but it will fight in the mix for space with electric guitars and vocals IMO.
    good luck and post some rough mixes when you get a minute

14. what's worked for me in recording is to mess around at home and in the rehearsal studio with getting "my sound". then take that to the engineer, let him listen to the sound you like, and the GTFO his way.

he's gonna tweak your stuff, probably. let him.

step one, however, is picking a talented engineer