Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

going to the music store in half an hour

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by profesorfrink, Feb 18, 2005.

1. profesorfrink

profesorfrink

Feb 13, 2005
    NY
    I'm a beginner to bass and I'm going to the music store soon to hopefully purchase my first bass, I just want to know any suggestions you may have for trying out the different basses when I go.

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Be sure to hold them or wear them in the manner that you intend to play them. Play something on each bass. It doesn't have to be a song. It can be a random collection of notes. The idea is to see how the bass feels in your hands and to see how it sounds to your ears.

If you can, play in a style that will be typical of what you intend to play. I hear a bunch of slapping and tapping stores, but that style is rarely typical of what a person will play in a band.

Don't hesitate to ask for them to plug you in. If you need a strap to see how it feels worn, ask for one to try. If they can't spend a little time help you to find the right instrument, then maybe they don't need your money.

Most important. Enjoy the process and find something that appeals to you. Don't worry what other people think. This instrument is for you.

3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I have no idea what kind of music you're into. I also don't know what kind of tone you like and, no insult here, you may not either.

I might make some suggestions:

1) Try everything you can get your hands on.

2) You may not like the sound of a particular bass but that might be because of the amp you're plugged into.

3) Fender is a good place to start. Why? Because Fender basses (or copies thereof) are the most played basses on the planet.

4) If you have a friend/relative who REALLY knows about this stuff, take him/her along before you finally make a decision.

5) Make sure the store includes a good set up (and maybe new strings) in the price of the bass.

6) Beware of mega-stores like Guitar Center. Not everyone there knows what they're talking about nor has your best interests at heart. They work on commision. Sometimes smaller stores have better customer service and that's more important than saving a few bucks.

7) Don't buy the cheapest bass you can find just because it's cheap. Make sure you're comfortable with it. If it's not a comfortable instrument you won't play it.

8) Don't get in a hurry.