1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Going to Toronto - What do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Deacon_Blues, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    I'm going to Toronto week 41 on a business trip :) and wondering if you know about some nice places for me to visit. I'm there at least on monday and tuesday evenings, probably also on wednesday, and perhaps also on thursday.

Some of you might know I'm into jazz a lot, so a good jazzclub would be nice to visit. Alternatively, a nice restaurant that has some good live music would also be interesting as I'm probably going out to eat a few times as well.

Then I'm having GAS for a new high quality classical guitar, and would like to check out some music stores. At what time do they normally close?

Then, are there any large record shops with an extensive jazz department that's worth checking out?

Thanks for any input,

DB

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You'll want to go to Top O The Senator for live jazz. Can't help with music stores.

Edit - looks like Top O The Senator is no longer in existence. Shame, that place was awesome.

3. crispygoat

crispygoat Guest

Aug 22, 2006
    London, Ontario
    The Long & McQuade downtown on Bloor street and ClubBass :) Some nice museums too !

4. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    yeah, Club bass, L&M in toronto is one of the preemo ones. You can also give Steves Music a shot. Its pretty huge.

5. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    If you're looking for vintage basses, then hit up Capsule Music on Queen Street. It's selection is limited, but plentiful in vintageness. Also, the only place in toronto i've seen an ashdown effects pedal.

6. Sheldon681

Sheldon681

Mar 26, 2008
    Ottawa
    Apparently the 12th Fret is a good place to go for high quality guitars.

7. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    12th Fret and Capsule... two great shops for vintage instruments... just make sure your bank account is the forgiving kind. They get pricey.

Largest record shop I know of is the HMV Superstore at Yonge and Dundas. Not so sure how much they have in the jazz section... you'd have to take a look. Also, if you're looking for vinyl, there are a few shops on Queen West that I'm told are relatively good. I think one is called Kopps Records.

8. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    I havnt been to Toronto, but i would love to see Roy Halladay pitch a game.

9. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Thanks all for your input! I appreciate it. :)

Steve - those clubs/restaurants seem to be just what I'm looking for. Thanks!

12th fret seems to be a nice shop where I might spend some money... Capsule as well - they have a stingray from -92 for less than $1000! I haven't seen one here for less than $1500... (why am I telling this you this? I want this one... ;))

Well, I think I'll have enough to check out now. Now I can only hope I will not have to work too late every evening so I can check out these shops....

10. Club Bass www.clubbass.ca

(and it really does suck that the Senator is gone...)

11. The Rex is where it's AT for Jazz in Toronto. Its where you will find not only more traditional stuff, but if theres an artist who's redefining the genre, you'll see them at the Rex. 3 shows a day. It's incredible. There is so much talent in this city!

12. Whenever I go to Toronto, record (and CD) shopping is my #1 priority. The HMV store already mentioned is nice. I can't remember the others I've been to but for jazz, especially fusion you can always find great titles not available in the US.
    Oh yeah, don't forget to pick up some nice Cuban cigars if you like that sort of thing.

13. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Second City. I spent a week in Toronto, and the second city is my favorite thing that we did. Definitely worth the price of admission!

14. Did you happen to see Tony & Tina's Wedding there? I subbed on that show quite a bit.

15. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI

No, I didn't. I was there years ago. I don't think they're even in the same building anymore. I think it was the old firehouse?

16. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Well, I'm now in Toronto, having 1-2 days off before I leave back tomorrow afternoon. So far I haven't checked out anything but yesterday evening when I was walking around I saw this sign: Jazz At Lincoln Center Orchestra feat. Wynton Marsalis. I got a ticket for $60 but I only got to choose between two seats in that big hall so it will be pretty crowded... I thought it will be worth to check out it when I have the opportunity. Most bigger artists never come to my hometown despite our jazzclub... Anyone else going to the same concert, btw?

Today I'll do some shopping, just have to locate some downtown music stores first on the map I've got. Thanks for the tips above. I'll check out as many as I can. :)

17. I've seen him twice. Won both games. :cool:

18. For good restaurants, just take a walk down Church Street, just don't hit on any of the girls, because they are likely men.

lowsound

19. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    I'm staying at the Holiday Inn downtown on King Street West. On the opposite side of the road there's a lot of restaurants and I went to one of them earlier today and ordered a seafood pasta. Had a glass of white wine and some mineral water. The drinks ended up being as expensive as the food. How dare anyone charge $7 for a bottle of water and $9 for a glass of wine I didn't even choose myself? Robbery. Well I was stupid not to ask for the price of those before ordering... Well...

I checked out Steve's Music too. It was the closest one to my hotel. They had a good selection of various stuff but I didn't buy anything. I only acquired serious GAS on a Pat Metheny jazz guitar that sounded like heaven and was pretty cheap. There was a great Guild acoustic too that I liked a lot.

Went to the Wynton Marsalis big band gig in Massey Hall. It was good, but nothing extraordinary. Some great solos though. Afterwards I checked out The Rex and there was a nice trio playing there (Ross MacIntyre Trio) with a bassist as the band leader. They could play. :) Now I'm back in the hotel thinking about what I can do tomorrow before I have to leave.. depends on whether I can store my luggage safely somewhere before I have to go to the airport. I hope I manage to visit the L & M music store.