Going to try out some pre-amps, i have some ?'s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DougP, May 14, 2004.

1. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    First of all, I am going out tomorrow to test the SVP-Pro and the SVP-CL pre-amps. I know that the CL is only available at one store within 50 miles of me, and this may hold true for some of you folks. with that being said, if you have questions about this pre-amp, ask sometime today and i will write down your questions and take them to the store with me to see if i cant get you the answers. I will most likely being doing a few head comparisons as well. just bear with me because i dont have a lot of experience testing equipment and relating what they sound like in writing; i will probably be spending quite some time in the store to check out multiple combinations of these units.

Also, i have played with an SVT-3 (no SVP-Pro available at that particular store). what concerns me is that i love the light-grit "Ampeg" sound, but i dont care for the amount of distortion that i was getting when getting the gain and tube gain knobs up past the noon-ish position. it seemed that just when the sound was about to get fabulous the distortion became too much. This leads me to my next question: will i be able to realize the full potential of the SVP-Pro without getting into the distortion? in other words, will the pre-amp solidly push that tube-y Ampeg sound through a power amp with out having the gain knobs turned way up? if it helps with advice, i plan on purchasing a Carvin amp (for cost reasons) shortly after this pre-amp.

- Doug
  2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    If you set the Gain at noon, the Drive where you like it, then you can operate with the Master to make it louder. Unless you want it to be "as loud as it gets", just using the Master of the SVP and the power amp will get you there.
  3. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Well, it looks like i wont get a chance to A/B them. The store sent all of their SVP-Pros back in exchange for the CL's. They guy at the store was extremely helpful on the phone. i told him what i was looking for and he said that the CL was a much closer fit to what i was looking for without the distortion. So i will go and check it out tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply.
  4. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    If I were you, Id try the preamp through a cab and power amp setup that you are thinking of, kindof a/b testing, just because if you use a berg 322 it will make anything sound good(within reason). or try useing it through the same cabs, granted you wont be right next to eachother when you compare them, but you could atleast get the feel of the tone the pre produces under similar circumstances
    and go with what sounds best to your ears!!!
    good luck
  5. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    The gain, drive, and master knobs all work together for volume and distortion.

For clean, you have the drive down and mostly use the master to get volume. For distortion you have the master less than 12 o'clock and the gain and drive turned up to 3 o'clock or higher.

For the sound you like (in between), it would be something like gain 12 o'clock, drive 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock, master 12 o'clock.
  6. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    As an update. i played the SVP-CL through a varirety of cabinets with a variety of basses, including: Warwicks, Pedullas, Rics, Ibanez, Ken Smiths (my favorite) and Fender. I compared the sound to other Ampegs, Fender amps, Peavey, and SWR. I even took a fellow bass player with me so that i could stand back away from the speakers to judge the sound from a distance and play with the knobs while he was playing.

The verdict: i bought it. it's great. I am a big fan of the Ampeg sound and this thing has plenty of it and enough. 4 tubes and enough controls to get a really clean sound through creamy tube-y to just on the fringe of overdrive.

Love it.