1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Going to try out some TI Rounds on one of my Jazz basses.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tony In Philly, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    Anybody ever tried these?

Thomastik-Infeld T-I JAZZ Round Wound (TI_JR344)

I just ordered some and am curious about what experiences anybody out there has had with them.

2. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Great strings-everything we like about RW strings with much better quality control.

3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Banned

Dec 11, 1999
    I am an absolute devotee of these strings (Disclaimer - I'm also a TI artist).

The JR are very evenly balanced. They have very low tensions and require a softer touch (not a string you want to really dig in with). They have a very small diameter outer winding and feel almost like half rounds. Finally they have a layer of silk between the inner and outer wrappings. This tends to tame some of the annoying upper partials of other strings.

Mike Dimin

4. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008
    I just put them on a Lakland DJ4 last week and am quite liking them. I've tended to use smaller diameter strings anyway so that's not an issue.

I will say they are VERY different from any RW string I've ever used (In both sound and feel). May not be for everybody, but I think it works for me.

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I have a very, very old set I bought used on my Carvin. They're so old there's some indentations on the strings in some parts from frets, but, they're amazing. Only rounds I really like.

6. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    Thanks for the input, guys!

7. I bought a set a couple of weeks ago. Very, very slinky. It's like playing guitar. You'll find yourself bending notes a lot. Not a fan. They sound good though. I went back to SunBeams.

8. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Banned

Dec 11, 1999
    I don't find that they make me bend notes.

9. I put these T-I Jazz round wounds on my Hofner bass. I was astounded. It's never sounded so alive but still warm at the same time. Great articulation and so easy to play. I learned something new after 40 years of playing.

10. Great strings, I have them on my six string. Easy to play, well balanced, and nice warm tone. I also like the powerbass strings....

11. Clutchcargo

Clutchcargo Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Southern Illinois
    Mike Dimin nailed these strings perfectly. Like no other string you'll find. They feel so nice and sound excellent. I've got one set that's been on several basses over a 3-4 year span. They've mellowed some but they're still right on and sound super. A little expensive but sometimes you "do" get what you pay for. I think you'll like them, Lee.....

12. tink9975

tink9975

Aug 10, 2006
    MoCo, MD
    for those of you who have used these, how long to they last? the descriptions intrigue me, but the price tag is discouraging me. If they last 2x as long as my usual rounds, it might be worth it. I love the TI flats on my fretless

13. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Banned

Dec 11, 1999
    Mine last quite a while. I never feel that i have to change them, I just do, periodically

14. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I bet they'd sound great on a fretless and be friendly to the fingerboard.

15. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Banned

Dec 11, 1999
    +1. A fret board friendly round wound, absolutely

16. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I had been playing TI Flats for years. Then about six months ago, I tried a set of TI Jazz Rounds on my bass. Absolutely love them. Warm sound with a low tension feel like my Flats but with more clarity and articulation. Now I have Jazz Rounds on the three basses I play the most.

I do think they'll last quite a while. After the second or third day, they seemed to have settled in and not change much in the last five months.

The only problem I'm finding is when I play one of my basses without Jazz Rounds. I'm no longer used to the higher string tension.

17. How is slapping on these strings with regards to their lower tension?

18. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Banned

Dec 11, 1999
    Depends on your slap technique?

19. Well of course :spit: ;)

I tend to point my thumb up, almost 45-60 deg to the strings. I either slap through the string a la Victor or Larry Graham or bounce it off the string, not trying to whack the crap out of it.

I currently have EB Cobalts on my bass, which is a little higher tension than I like but it's workable. Any insight on how these low tension puppies work out is appreciated!

20. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008
    I do a fair amount of thumb work and these are fine for my taste. I don't like to fight the instrument and these are nice and responsive to a less heavy hand.

I wouldn't recommend these to Flea.