Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Going to try selling on eBay... any advice?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BertBert, Jun 11, 2004.

1. BertBert

BertBert

Nov 9, 2002
    Indianapolis
    I have an Ovation mandolin sitting around that I really can't play and haven't even gotten it out of the case in over a year, and it's in very good condition so I am thinking about eBaying it. I have bought stuff off of eBay before but I've never sold anything on it. Reading the guidelines on eBay makes it seem pretty simple, and the fees are surprisingly low. However, we all know reality can be different from the guidelines. Anybody have any advice on what to look out for? Should I even be doing this, or should I instead be selling it on TB , the local want ads, etc.?

2. ebay is much to complicated. just send it to me. look out for people who are willing to pay "money" these are usually scammers, but me, caus im such a good friend, ill take it off ur hands for free.

3. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    My advice is to go ahead and punch yourself in the face immediately after posting your ad.

This serves a very important purpose:

Once people start seeing the ad, they're going to start sending you emails trying to lowball you, and asking you questions that either don't pertain to the sale or are answered in the writeup for the item. The punch is so you'll have a point of comparison. Everytime you get one of those emails you can think "Well, it's better than punching myself in the face."

4. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    You will get a few dumb questions on email, but it's not too bad if you take a few steps. Be as descriptive as you can in the writeup. What it is, what condition it's in, where it was made, what color it is (Yes even if that is clear in the picture). If you only want to ship to the lower 48, say so, if you only want cashiers check, money order or Paypal, say so. Do not, repeat do not ship until the money is in your hand and you verify it's spendable. Make no exceptions to that rule unless you personally know or are related the buyer and know how to hunt them down and break their legs for non payment. Do not respond to anyone who says they are in Indonesia, Pakistan, or wherever and has some cockamamy arrangement about sending you a large check to hold while their agent comes and gets or has you ship them the instrument until the overseas person can arrange local funding. You will be left with a returned check and no instrument. Other than that, it's fine. I have sold around 50 items with no major issues.