Going Under the Knife...Need a New Amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zooberwerx, Jul 4, 2004.

1. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    My, what a peculiar thread title! Here's the situation: I am having surgery (again) to repair a right inguinal hernia. Problem is that all my gear weighs a ton and has undoubtedly contributed to my delicate condition. The main culprit is my Eden CXC 400 combo which weighs in at around 80 - 90 lbs. The unit sounds great and has one of the best DI's but leaves a lot to be desired in terms of mobility. I'm considering selling it here in southeastern Virginia, but first I need some suggestions for a replacement 2 X 10 combo. Price is not a big issue, quality is! Any input is greatly appreciated.
  2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Euphonic Audio iAmp, GK 1001, Epifani ultralight 900, etc. in a rack bag and an Epi UL-210.

If you really want to go for a combo look into, EA combo, Epi ultralight combos (don't know when they will be available). Markbass combos, Ampeg portabass (I don't care for them personally, but you might).
  3. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    This is why I ALWAYS recommend separate components -this and upgradeability reasons.
    I'd go with an Eden Traveller head and maybe a pair of 1x12's(Aggies?).
  4. It sounds to me like you need a Metro 210.
  5. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Walter Woods Ultra High and 2 Acme B-2s or 2 Berg 1-12s
  6. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    I don't think a 2x10 combo will be a whole lot lighter. You should probably think about going with a separate head and cab(s).

Aguilar GS112 comes to mind. :D
  7. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    i agree- while my gk 1001rb/210 has the cool tilt and roll system in there, it's still heavy to lift. sorry to hear about your hernia (had one myself- not fun). get better and good luck with your gear search.
  8. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Tech 21 RBI = 5 LBS
    stewart world 1.2 power amp = 11 Lbs
    (700 into 8 or 1200 into 4ohms)
    one or two aguilar gs112s = 42 LBS ea.

if you can find a light carrying case this is a very potent setup! I use an skb roto rack, but its 15Lbs alone

the key to helping you back is let someone or something else carry the load from car to stage. I use.....

carries 300 LBS I can carry two aggies and the rack in one trip!!! the 4 wheels helps on the straightaways.
  9. Where can I get one of those carts?
  10. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
  11. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    The Mesa Boogie Walkabout scout sounds pretty tastey for you. I don't know your price range, your opinion about Mesa Boogie, or the weight of the Walkabout...but...people have said amazing things about them. If need be you can just take the amp out of the cabinet and allow yourself to cary to seperate things cutting the load by half on a bad day. They're extremely powerful little guys and have amazing tone :).
  12. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    if you search the net you can find them for about $140 I paid $170 at a "luggage world" I think.
  13. I totally agree:)
    the ampeg portabass is also worth checking out (although I have never played a walkabout)
  14. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Great ideas....thanks! I might be a little closer than I thought. My back-up or alternate rig is a RBI / Crest CA-6 powering an Acme B-4. Two pieces, the heaviest of which is not more than 50 lbs (I think). I'm a little reluctant to sell the Acme B-4. They're an acquired taste and have limited value on the used market. I like the idea of separate components, say a 2 x 10 (or 2 X 12!) with a ~300 watt head. I recognize the brand names as well: Mesa, EA, Bergatino, Ampeg, Epifani, GK. Which are your favorites in terms of performance and what on-line retailers are competitive?

Please hurry with your responses as the bulge is getting larger even as I type. I'm not a young man anymore.

15. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

bump. 2x10 combos are still gonna be pretty heavy. You might want to look into a rig made of multiple lightwieght compenents, such as 2 1x12 cabs and a head, for example. :D
  16. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    exaclty what is was thinkin'

Sansamp + light poweramp + aggie 1x12
  17. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    My rack/RPM/AMp weigh about 30Lbs. pumping 700w potentially into one aggie is a very exciting thing to hear!!!
    I normally run two, but I ran one speaker for part of practice before I realised that the other speaker was disconnected!!!
  18. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    You guys have got me sold on the Aggie 12's! What's my best on-line source for these rascals? I don't think any local dealers carry the line.

19. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I just had a double hernia surgery about 4 weeks ago.. The left side needed to be done and he checked on the right side and thought it looked weak, so he repaired it too... I had the laiproscopic procedure and it was no problem, I was back to work in 3 weeks.. I had hernia surgery about 12 years ago and the old way was horrible... Whats funny is I didn't lighten up my rig... I went from a QSC PLX power amp to a Crest CA-9 and increased my rack about 30 lbs... The sound and tone is well worth the extra weight... Good luck... :D