Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Going up to the Woods

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tritone, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Walter Woods that is! I called Mr. Woods today to put myself on "the list" for an Ultra, and he told me he had a limited amout of stock on hand!!!

I'm going Friday to pick it up, and I'm about ready to jump out of my skin! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

I have to say that at least over the phone, Mr. Woods is one of the nicest persons I think I've ever spoken with. We talked on the phone for about a half hour, and I hung up with the feeling that I just made a new friend (And Carl if you're reading this, I told him you said hi!). It'll be cool to meet him in person!

I may not sleep until Friday...... ;)

2. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

If possible and not a problem...

can you take a picture of Walter and post it up.

I along with others would like to what Walter looks like.

I have an Ultra and like yourself - had a very nice chat with him ..you are right..I felt like I knew him for years ...he is a very nice guy...

Anyways and more important ..you are going to love your Ultra.....

3. pjhandlin

pjhandlin Gold Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Congrats Tri!

So what cabs will you be using with the Woods? Checked into your sig, but I did not recognize Wan Bass. Any story there?

I've been quite happy with my setup: berg 112's and WWU. Still keeping my mind open to other cabs though... seriously thinking about Epi 310 or Whappo Jr.

Tri, care to share any comments about the TF that you have for sale? Didn't work for you?

4. Tritone

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I'll see what I can do on the photo '57! ;) And thanks for the encouragement, it's always nice to know you made a good decision.

PJ: Wan (WBS) cabs are made local here in the San Diego area by Peter at Liberty Sound. They really are good cabs. Here's a link if you're interested.

http://www.libertymusicshop.com/frameset.htm

And I still love my Thunderfunk, the one I'm selling is a seldom used (twice gigged) spare. I still have another one that I love. It's just time for me to experience WW! :D

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Very cool, Mike! Excellent decision. Methinks you're gonna be a happy camper. Best to Walter. :cool:

6. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Pics :cool:

7. Tritone

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Thanks, Carl I think so too. Our chat had a lot to do with my decision! And by the way, Mr. Woods speaks very well of you!

And Andrew, I'll post pics of it as soon as I get home! :hyper:

8. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Congratulations on your decision to go for a WW.

I just got my Ultra. I was looking forward to getting mine from Walter but a fellow TB'er had decided to sell his. I was able to drive over to his house and get some hands-on time with the amp. It was in beautiful condition so I jumped on it. I AM THRILLED! to say the least. It is an incredible amp. :hyper:

I'm in the process of trying to figure out the best way of carrying the amp. I know Jonathan and Carl have gone with the Mooradian bag but $80 seems steep. I wrote to NeedMoreBass who said in a post that he had a link to a case made by Modern Cases but haven't heard back from him. So I tried emailing Modern Case directly and haven't heard from them, either. If any of you have any ideas please let me know.

9. It'd be interesting to hear a comparison betwen the TF and WW.

10. Jerry J
    I'm very happy with my Odyssey Bag BR312. It's nice because the carpted rack box itself come out of the bag and makes a nice clean look and doubles as a "spacer" between my Berg 112's if I need to elevate a lot. The only thing I don't like about this bag is the handles should be on the side but it's a great bag. You will have to find some rack ears and I think Needmore might have some. Walter was out of them when I called and found some used. I'm also able to utilize my extra rack tuner and have my Radial JDI velcroed in the back for a neat little package, Amp, Tuner, DI, cords and it has nice storage too. Nice bag, I got the 3 space.

Congrats on the WWU, love mine and Walter is a blast to talk with. Great human being.

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    They are pricey, Jerry. But man, they are nice! Very thickly padded and just about perfect for the WWU, I think. I wouldn't want to be without mine. Even the shoulder strap is padded. ;)

12. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'm using the Odyssey rack back with my EA iamp800 and I totally agree on its merits, as you describe. Very cool arrangement.

13. Tritone

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I'm pretty curious about that myself. I'll post my thoughts after I've spent a little time with both together!

Hey Carl, where did you order your bag from? I was thinking about just getting a camera-type case for it (to answer Jerry), but that would probably be as much as the Mooridian.

14. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I ordered mine direct from Mooradian, bro. www.mooradian.com. Look under "Keyboards and Synthesizers."

15. Tritone

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Thanks Carl. I'll check it out.

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I've been able to spend some time with both (and a few other amps, to boot!). Here are links to a couple of threads wherein I shared some of what I heard by way of comparison:

Mesa Walkabout vs Thunderfunk

Thunderfunk vs Walter Woods Ultra

17. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Congrats on the WW!

Pix of Walter and the WWU would be cool.... also are you going to do a little personal review on it for us?

18. Tritone

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Thanks! And I'll post the review as soon as I've spent a little time getting to know it. :bassist:

19. Congratulations. The Ultras are la creme de la creme.

Walter is a great guy. Having said that, I managed to get completely chewed out by him one time, and I deserved it.

I had an amber for a while and I soldered up a qtr to speakon cable for it and I screwed up and ended up running the amp into a dead short, and all the smoke came out of it.

When I called Walter and told him about it, he gave me heck for inept wiring practices, and then he fixed the amp for me and sent it back within a week like new for a reasonable fee.

I'd love to see a photo of him & his workshop.

Aloha,

Jonathan

20. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Another TB'er posted about his WW visit and said he makes the heads in his bedroom with his wife assisting...

really!!