Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Going Wireless

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by minnikin32, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Hello fellow 4/5/6/7/8/10/12 (or however many) stringers

I have decided on the wireless system I will use in my rack, and that is the Sennheiser EW372 Generation 2 system :) . But I have have a bit of a dilemma...

I use two basses on stage, and they have quite different output levels. I always have the volumes on the basses on full, as the active electronics seem to work better that way. I also would like to avoid changing the gain control on my Ampeg SVT3-PRO.

Here's the crunch... would it better to switch the cable on the transmitter round to the other bass, or get a transmitter for each bass (damn expensive for the 300 series! :meh: ).

Anyone had any experience with this? :confused:

Cheers everyone :D

Glenn Minnikin
    glenn@minnikin.com
    United Kingdom

2. Bennito

Bennito

Sep 12, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    Victor Wooten uses a mixer that goes into his 4pro head. All the basses are plugged in to the mixer. Only 1 bass is wireless, and the others are wired.

So the best thing in this case, is to figure out which will be your main bass, and go wireless with that.

Vic uses an Alesis Studio 12R mixer, but I'm sure you can find something cheaper.

I'm sure there is a way to get both basses wireless, but this is one way of doing it.

Hope it helps!

3. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Getting a volume pedal may help.

4. KJAXE

KJAXE Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    FARGO, ND
    Get a pedal of some sort with a gain control, don't use the effect (unless you want), just the gain, and use with only one of the basses so both outputs are equal. You should be able to find something like that for around $50 give or take $25.

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Get a boost pedal. Leave it off for the louder bass and set it to boost the quieter bass to the same level.

6. Wildside

Wildside

Jan 12, 2004
    theater of pain
    this is what I usually do. I think a mixer like victor wooten uses is a better idea in the long run, but it's a lot more expensive than just getting a boost pedal.