Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

going with a combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bass_extremes, Jul 9, 2005.

1. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    Hey everyone ive been looking for an amp and I thought I would get a seperate head and cab then I thought I would get a pre/power amp set up. I decided now that im going to get a combo. ive been looking at an ashdown mag C210T because it seems to be reasonably priced at 700 american and its like 850 Canadian. But my question is does the amp have enough power to be heard over two guitarist with 100 watt amps and a drummer. Keeping in mind that I dont want to have to crank the amp to be heard. I want to have some power to spare if I need it. I want to be able to be heard I dont want people to have to listen closly to hear the bass.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Whether the configuration is a combo or not keep one rule of thumb in mind, and it's that a bass operates a full octave lower than a guitar. All things being equal that means you need four times the power and four times the speaker compliment to match the guitar player's potential output. What you propose is fine if those guitar players don't crank it all the way, but if they do you'll never keep up.

3. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    Ive bee hereing good things about the yorkville xs400t its a tube amp. and also do you mean that if my guitars players both have 2X10 combos I need sixteen speakers?

4. Teh_GoAT

Teh_GoAT

Apr 25, 2004
    That Yorkville is supposed to be really loud, for it's size anyways. Good price on it, too.

The Fender Bassman 250/210 is another good similiarly priced combo to take a look at. Also quite capable of being loud.

As for drowning out the guitarists/drummer.. well, if you can afford more.. DO IT!

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The Yorkville xs 400 T is a very loud good sounding amp with an excellent warranty and from a company with proven reliability.

I've used one on a gig and was very pleased.

However, it's not a tube amp, but does have a tube in the preamp fpr the overdrive section.

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Eight would be sufficient. Two would be sufficient also, providing that they don't run their amps wide open. But we are talking about guitar players. If your bass rig is competing against the output that four tens are capable of then trying to do so with only two tens would seem a doomed proposition. I'd get a 4x10 to be safe. Much depends on the PA as well, and the less the reinforcement you can expect from that the more you are on your own as far as covering the room is concerned. With enough PA you can play any venue with a 4x10. No PA? SVT.

7. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    another amp I have my eye on is an ampeg b2re has any one used one and if so how did you like it also in my on going quest I think I have some more questions well first off is it pretty versitle. my band plays mostly classic rock some punks songs. I also play at my church and on weekends play with a worship group. and then with school im in the jazz band so we play some jazz and funks songs. is this amp capable in these kind of settings? Ive been thinking about getting a ampeg SVT410-HLF because ive heard good things about it. But do you think that this will be able to handle my low B string or should I get an 1X15 also?