1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Going with Nordstrand DC's........should I get them wound parallel or series??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by g4string, May 7, 2010.

1. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I am 100% set on a set of Nordie DC's for my "project" Pavel Jazz Pro. I am getting a 2 band - 4 knob Glockenklang preamp to go with the Nordies. My only question, is what way should I order the DC's - parallel or series???? FWIW, the bass has an ash body w/ quilt top, rock maple neck, and a flamed maple fret board. I have heard some say that a series winding can get nasal, throaty, too "middy".....where as the parallel low output kind scares me as the Glock pre does not have an internal gain trim. Any and all input is welcome....thanks in advance!!

2. ZiggyDude

ZiggyDude

Jun 8, 2005
    I used Nordy's on my Moser. I was able to get them wound for both. You just get a series/parallel switch. It is worth it - I find that in parallel they are very thick - which is good. But series thins it out some which is also good. It gives you two very useful sounds.

3. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I was thinking about that.....just dont feel like waiting though. I need to talk to the guys at the shop to see what their thoughts are -AND- to see what the lead time is on a set of custom wounds.

4. billbern

billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    Series/ Parallel / single coil is avalable via switch no matter which winding you chose.
    I think they wind them a little less "hot" if you intend to use them mostly series. To have less of a volume jump from humbuck to single coil. But of course i could be wrong.

5. jdwinva

jdwinva Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
    I used Nordstrand pickups and prefer parallel wiring.

6. are you sure it's not the reverse?

7. +1. On both my recently sold Warwick Streamer Jazzman and my Sandberg Custom, series mode was the one with the beef behind it; strong lows and low-mids. Parallel mode scooped the sound a bit and gave more highs which really got a sweet slap tone. Parallel sounded quite close to single coil but not quite as aggressive. Personally, I'd go with series if I had to choose one but why choose one? I say go with the soil tap switch(es?) for both pickup. Series gave me a more favorable tone overall (powerful, growly) but again when you can have it all, why not?