1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gold anodized pickguard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marcus Willett, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    OK, so even though I usually play my 5 string J style (soon to be Stammy); I've picked up an extra gig that made me make a change (the Rod Stewart tribute show in my sig line).

So....

I thought that since the guy has provided me with an old SVT cab (he used to play bass himself), I figured this gig would be the perfect chance to break out my ol' P bass that spent the last few years mostly hanging on the wall.

(slight tangent)

Man, I had forgotten how much fun it is to play just balls-out rock and roll with a P bass through an SVT. Yeah, baby!

Anyway...

What I would love but have never been able to find is a P bass pickguard set of for 'reverse' position. i.e., the treble side closer to the neck (not bridge) and vice-versa....I think this makes a lot of sense from a tone-balancing perspective. I know that there were a couple Fender models (like the Rocco one a while back) that had the reversed setup, and I could get one custom-made of course.

Except...

My P bass is sunburst with the gold anodized pickguard and I love that look. I have never heard of or seen anyone that even makes that kind of pickguard at all (besides Fender), much less one with the reversed pickup configuration.

Any chance of acquiring such a beast...?

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'm pretty sure that Roger at Jeannies Pickguards has the material to make an anodized pickguard.

http://home.comcast.net/~pickguards/

His website is long overdo for an update, but if you email him, he can let you know.

I keep meaning to ask him myself because I've got a CAR Bongo due in about 4 months that I hope to set up with an anodized gold pickguard, so let me know. :D

PS--love the piccolo! :hyper:

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

All the best with your new gig.

4. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    I had emailed Jeannies before and they said no. It was a while back, though...I guess I could try again.

P.S. Thanks for the kind words.

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Try Roger at Jeannies, again.

Check this page out at the Pit:

http://www.vintagebass.com/thedudepit/showthread.php?t=10181

There's a pic of a gold anodized guard he made for a PBass, and Roger mentions he can get a version that has a clearcoat called "non-smudge."

6. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Shot 'em an email.

Major: Thanks. Andy is not doing any shows till May, so it's welcome work and fun too. With Andy, it's a lot of ballads (as you might guess)...not so with the Rod show!:bassist:

7. Kurtmon

Kurtmon

Dec 1, 2005
    I am in the process of makeing some aluminum pickguards at this time, if you could send me an exact template of the guard,or the original if possible, I could probaly build one for you.

8. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Well, do you have any examples of your work? Would you be able to do the anodizing?

9. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The pickguard isn't the only thing you'll have to change. The body is only routed for the pickups one way. You'll have to rout your body to reverse the pickup locations.
    Will it be worth it?

10. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL

Sure, why not? The pickguard will cover the new rout, and even if I change my mind, I can always go back.

11. Kurtmon

Kurtmon

Dec 1, 2005
    Please pm me for more info....Kurtis:ninja:

12. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    +1 on the reverse-pickup. Now that I have a P of my own, I wish that the pickup was switched the other way around. The E and A strings are much meatier/bassy than the D and G strings which sound a bit thinner. Even though I've never played a P with the reversed-pickup, I imagine that it would have am much more "even" sound, going from string to string.

I might eventually do it on my Skyline Glaub when I have some extra cash and free time. I'd have no problem with a mod like that, because I agree with you here:

-David