1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gold anodized pickguards

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GeneralElectric, May 20, 2011.

1. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Hey everyone

Looking for a couple of gold anodized pickguards for some basses. I'm looking for real aluminum and not gold colored plastic or vinyl. Would prefer off the shelf guards but would go to a custom maker if I had to.

Basses in question that need one:

70s Classic Jazz Bass
    Lakland Decade
    71 P-bass

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You can order the real Fender P one from any Fender dealer. Outside of that, you're looking at a costly DIY project. I found that out when I was looking for a customized variation on the Fender one.

There used to be a company, Sharp Concepts, that could do custom ones, but they did a lot of bad business and recently shut their doors.

For the DIY, you'd cut a plain aluminum one, or get somebody to do it, and then send it somewhere to be anodized.

3. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Thanks Bongo. I unfortunately figured that this might be the case even though I was hoping it wasn't true.

The problem with the Fender P-bass one, if its the one from the 57 RI, is that its a different screw hole pattern and doesn't always match up to the existing control cavity routes. Found this out the hard way before.

4. Sleeq

Sleeq

Feb 13, 2008
    Lebanon/Kuwait
    Only one hole needs to be made... probably worth it. This is my MIA with the Fender 'guard:

IMG_0018.

exidor and Glazenn like this.
  5. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I don't wanna start punching unnecessary holes into my 71 P-bass. She's pretty minty. :p

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    What you can do, in all seriousness, is use acid-free double-sided tape. Not the 3M office-supply stuff, because it might affect the finish (under the pickguard), but "archival" tape used by picture framers.

Of course then there are no screw heads in the screw holes, and that might look weird up close...

I guess you could cut the heads off a bunch of screws, and glue the heads into the holes! :p

7. Nobody

Nobody Banned

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
    Just out of curiosity what gave you the idea to put a gold anodized pickguard on a Jazz? I think it would look cool. What color is your jazz?

I also think the gold would look really good on the Decade.

OOD likes this.
  8. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

Jul 5, 2006
    Ukiah, CA
    there is a company on ebay that does aluminum guards. i got a one piece jazz last year from them. let me see if i can find their store...

9. Does anyone know if the anodized '57 guard will fit an MIM P?

10. Sleeq

Sleeq

Feb 13, 2008
    Lebanon/Kuwait
    ^ It should fit no problem; just needs one hole to be made.

exidor likes this.
  11. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    There's an anodizing shop in Buffalo, NY, (Deluxe Anodizing) that I use all the time to do my aluminum RC car components.

12. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Several of my guitars have the anodized pickguards already. I figured, why not a jazz?

My Jazz is sunburst with a maple neck.

13. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    You're saying the pickguard needs an extra hole, not the bass - right?

14. No. Looking at the picture, the anodized PG has fewer holes, but one of them is actually between two of the holes for the MIM guard. Therefore a new hole would have to be drilled in the bass between two existing ones.

There would be no need to drill more holes in the aluminum guard. It should be stiff enough to hold its shape without making use of all the existing holes in the body.

15. You know what you need for the 71? when fender came out with the P bass specials in the late 90s they were passive first and had gold metal guards with 13 screw holes, no thumbrest or pickup cover holes.

Later they went to making these active , and plastic gold guards.

The screw hole pattern may still not match up , but way better chance then anything i can think of thats not totally custom.

16. Hey Everybody - First poster!
    You might find something that would work for you here: Fender® Bass Pickguards - - - or here: Buy Fender Guitar and Bass Pickguards, Plastic Parts | The Music Zoo

I just happened to be looking for a gold pick guard myself today, so I went back to retrace my steps. I agree with the OP that the anodized looks a lot better than a plated or plastic looking gold pick guard.

I have a Deluxe Active Jazz in the Vintage White (faded yellow) that I am slowly replacing all the chrome pieces for gold. The gold looks pretty cool on that body color.

jiminyshiznit likes this.
  17. You can always drill new holes in the pickguard instead of the bass..

-RTK

18. True, that totally makes sense if you have a blank PG.

But say you're drilling because hole patterns on the guard and instrument don't match up. You'll probably have visible unused holes on the guard if you drill extra holes there, versus invisible unused original holes under the new guard if you drill new holes in the bass.

Drilling holes in the guard is less invasive, sure. But in most cases it won't look as nice.

However you could use Bongo's idea and glue some cut-off screw heads in the extra holes. :D

19. FunkJimi

FunkJimi

Oct 6, 2012
    1) as someone else has said already: remember to sand off the inner (bottom, non visible) part of the pickguard where the pots and jack touch it, so that they and the pickguard all get grounded. if you want this to pickguard to be a part of your Faraday cage to make your bass quieter, you have to make a proper Faraday cage. For a Faraday shield to work at all, it must be a box that surrounds the electronics and all parts of that box should be connected to ground. If the pickguard is not grounded you may end up with more noise. check with an ohmmeter that everything is connected to ground.

2) adding one screw will do nothing to your tone. cosmetically this makes your bass look identical to a 57/58 p-bass, but i had a lot more trouble than necessary because that one screw is so close to the edge of the wood - i drove it in hard and split off the wood underneath the pickguard! be careful!!! drive it in slowly, or perhaps you can drill a very small hole first, to make it easier to drive it in.

3) when you first take the existing pickguard off, be careful not to pull on the cable that comes from the bridge - it is not soldered to it or soldered loosely and can easily get dragged out, in which case you'll have to remove the bridge, reinsert the cable. you may want to change that cable to a shielded one if concerned about the hole that leads to the bridge not being shielded.

4) shield the entire cavity with either many layers of conductive paint or copper tape or aluminum tape. copper is better because it solders better. check out videos on how to do this right (every strip must be connected, for one thing, to ground). luckily, my 2009 American Standard came with a shielded cavity painted with conductive paint.

--> i did the above and the results are fantastic. it's the quietest p-bass i've ever heard. mine used to pick up RF noise and radio noise sometimes but now i can put the 300 Watt amp level to max and you cannot notice that the bass is plugged in. i also changed the input jack to a gold plated one in this process. all this was done on a 2009 American Standard. Highly recommended.

20. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    Of all the (full) guards I have had on my P, I like the ano gold one best.

Didn't sand the underside, didn't shield anything, no problems. Quiet as a funky mouse.

As suggested above, I managed to score a P-bass Special guard for mine, 13 holes matched up perfectly.
    Looks dead sexy.

Currently rocking just a control plate, but if/when I go back to a full 'guard, it'll be the aluminum one.

wraub

exidor likes this.