1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gold / brass patina frets on recent Chinese imports lately...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pablomigraine, Sep 23, 2010.

1. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    Director of Commercial Sales - Neural DSP
    So I've noticed this gold/ brass patina materializing on the frets of several Chinese basses recently. When my Brubaker Brute first showed up the frets were highly polished silver but after several months have taken on an almost entirely gold appearance. Several of the Squiers have exhibited the same problem.

Anyone else seen this? Any idea what might cause it? Anything able to reverse it?

2. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    Director of Commercial Sales - Neural DSP
    Soooo I'm THE ONLY PERSON who's noticed this bump?

3. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    I dunno dude....the frets on the CV were fine when I sold the neck....And the frets on the SX basses seem to be holding up well too....now your making me want to go look.

4. Craig_S

Craig_S Inactive

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    Could it be, your body has the acidity level of the Alien queen?

5. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Yes - I have been told Alien acid does that.

6. DaLoCo

DaLoCo

Jun 16, 2010
    South Africa
    You won't be able to reverse it withou removing the fret and having a jeweller re-coat it (the only place I can think that will Plate to that tolerance). I think they nickel plate the fretwire, but because of costing the plating will be very thin. It is something I have seen in much older instrument whilst doing repairs. Quickest fix is a refret, using quality wire (I am in Africa, so I cannot refer you, but someone might be able to)

7. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Haven't seen this in a long time, but:

- I saw it a long time ago on my old Bronco
    - I remember seeing it on some craptastic basses at Walmart.

8. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    if you have a OHSC that it's in, the glue from the case is gassing out and causing the "patina"..

use some Nev'rDull polishing wool on the metal parts, it helps prevent the patina.. then let the case sit open for a few weeks to allow the glues and styrofoam to cure/gas out..

i had this happen on a few import Dean guitars i owned..

9. Or... it could be the Chinese drywall causing it.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021