1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gold/champagne basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 15000volts, Aug 27, 2011.

1. I've been thinking of refinishing my jazz in a gold-ish/champagne metallic mist kind of colour. anyone have a bass in this sort of finish?

this kind of thing would be very very nice: Vultures - John Mayer Trio - YouTube courtesy of mr John Mayer.

any help is good!

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    IMGP1544.

Bassist30 and superdick2112 like this.
  3. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Firemist Gold and Shoreline Gold are two of the more usual Fender colors. Shoreline has a lot more silver in it, maybe leans more towards champagne you are describing. Hard to tell from the vid due to lighting, but John's axe looks Firemist to me.

Thanks for the link, enjoyed it a lot. That band just sounds so solid. Pino's got the thumb muting thing going in a deep groove. Just goes to show what a great rhythm section can do; doesn't have to be real complex. Great stuff.

Oh, I've got a Fender MM5 in Shoreline. It is an awesome finish, but terribly hard to capture in photos.

4. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I've got one. It's not quite as dark as this shot suggests, but it is darker than "typical" shoreline gold. Some days I love the color, other days I want to refinish it. (The bass is way too awesome to sell.)

lildrgn and superdick2112 like this.
  5. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    New York and Philadelphia
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    GREAT POST...I've been looking into a Shoreline Gold refinish and am confused by the HUGE variations in what Shorline Gold is...The LAST thing I want is a Shoreline Gold Paint job that gets confused with INCA silver...

This is what I like, Have to send this to Marty Bell when I get it done

Attached Files:

superdick2112 likes this.
  6. colour wise, there's something in that one that bugs me, but i can't really tell want did they put too much of in there..

EDIT: it also seems to opaque. i'd like it with some fine discreet flake or something similar

7. JohnK10's shoreline jazzmaster might be a good one, if i recall correctly..

8. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Just be really careful with looking at photos of Shoreline. They can be quite off IME. Tough color to photo.

9. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Here is a pic of my MM5 which is close, but still not quite right.

Attached Files:

10. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    New York and Philadelphia
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    Yes, not true shoreline, but I like the vibe, kind of aged looking

11. Someone used to make a gold replacement jazz body. I can't remember if it was Mighty Mite, Allparts or WD. But it was nice looking. Saw them on Ebay. I think I'd do that before I'd refinish the one you have. That's a big job.

12. Shoreline Gold:
    IMG_4577s.

13. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    1999 Fender American Standard Jazz Bass V in Shoreline Gold.
    8ddf6ece.

14. those are some really nice looking basses. with a tiny bit more flake i'd be in heaven.

i'd settle comfortably with any of those, though:D:D

15. since i'm across the pond i'm not a big fan of buying a mighty mite/warmoth body, but i'm considering it, since this is a hard finish to pull of nicely. however, because my bass is a copy instead of a real fender, idk if the neck would fit the body right..

16. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    The Jazz V in the above post is the closest to what Shoreline Gold actually looks like, IMO. It is hard to photo, as are most similar metallic colors. If you want more of a "gold" gold (so it won't be confused with Inca, etc.), look at Firemist Gold instead. Both good colors though.

17. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    And by the way, here's Firemist Gold. Although this pic makes it look a touch less gold (and therefore closer to Shoreline) than it does in reality.

69body.

18. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Sadowsky Shoreline Gold...

SRB-DaveP-J-Hastings.

19. That would be easy to find out. Just measure the neck pocket on your bass. If it's to Fender specs it'll be 2 1/2" by 3 7/8". Depth would be 5/8".

One thing you might try if you decide to refinish it is automotive spray paint. Works really well on bass bodies. I've done several basses that way and it turned out great.

20. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Here's my Harvest Gold Alleva-Coppolo LM5. I love Shoreline and Harvest gold. Looks great with maple or rosewood neck IMO, and black or mint guard.

alleva.