1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gold Class Cinemas (w/little Alice in Wonderland content)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MatticusMania, Mar 17, 2010.

1. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    So, this is essentially two threads in one (I'm a neurotic space saver).

Firstly, have any of you ever had the pleasure of viewing a movie at one of the Gold Class Cinema movie theaters? There are only 6 of them, two in Tx, two in Il, one in Wa, and one in Pasadena, Ca. Absolutely exquisite, if a little pricey.

Tickets were $23 each, luckily my gf had a $40 gift card. When we arrived it looked like we were walking into a rental car agency. We checked in at the front desk then went DOWN two flights of escalators.
    As we came off the 2nd escalator we were greeted by a nice looking hostess who took us to a table with some nice comfy chairs & handed us a menu. We chose to go on a Tuesday because thats Happy Hour (all day) 1/2 price appetizers and $3 draft beer. Yes, they serve beer & food. So we ordered some drinks (Stone Smoked Porter!!!!) in the waiting room and marveled at how nice/classy this place was.
    Our drinks arrived and we just chilled for a little bit. They recommend you arrive at least 30 min before your showing. As we're drinking a guy comes up and tells us our movie is seating now and takes us to our seats (you can choose your seats when you purchase your tix). We are seated in the BIGGEST, MOST COMFORTABLE RECLINING CHAIRS EVER!!!!! In between the seats is a small table and a call button. Just as the previews start we ordered an appetizer (we had already eaten dinner), Blue Cheese Potato Chips. Freshly made chips covered in a blue cheese fondue. Delicious!
    They offer to bring you pillows and blankets and everything! The whole evening cost us about $70, tix food, drinks & all. It was a nice date, and if you have the cash, its a great place to take your lady!

In regards to the movie, Alice in Wonderland in 3d was pretty awesome. Not at all what I was expecting, but definitely an enjoyable movie.

2. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    That sounds absolutely fantastic, I'm jealous.

3. drteeth

drteeth

Apr 1, 2008
    Leuven, Belgium
    I would totally pay that price for that. Sounds fantastic.

4. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    It all sounds expensive on paper, especially if we hadnt gone on Happy Hour Tuesday, but it really was worth every dollar I spent.

I know this chain only has 6 cinemas, but its entirely possible that they don't have a monopoly on the market and that there are similar chains or individual theaters in other states.

5. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    I've never heard of em.

AinW was ok... bit corney at some parts and didn't follow the book as much as I would've liked it too.

6. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    You do realize that the movie doesnt follow the book AT ALL, right? This is an entirely made up story, almost more of a sequel to the original books.

7. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Being that we live in Pasadena, my wife and I have been talking about going to that theatre, but we haven't done it yet. Your review sounds like it's exactly what we are hoping it will be. I need to keep that in mind for the next time we can wrangle up a babysitter.

8. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Definitely check it out Eric, totally worth it!

I went in jeans and a button up black shirt and almost felt over-dressed.

9. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    +1

10. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    They do... hell they got some of the same characters.

Ah. I knew I dodn't member about her wedding in the begining.

I need to reread the book. It's been four or five years.

11. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Books? I thought there was only the first one! Damn I need to read em all!

12. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Alice in Wonderland sucked.

But that theater sounds killer.

13. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    I went to the one in bollingbrook, IL.
    it is awesome. absolutely awesome.
    the sound system was fantastic as well

14. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    I've been to the one in Pasadena a few times, very nice place.

15. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Yes, theres two of them. Alice in Wonderland is the first book. Through the Looking Glass is the second.

The Alice in Wonderland movie thats currently out is an original story, I guess you could call it a second sequel, that takes place after the events of the first two books and involves many (if not all) of the original characters.

16. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Ok cool I'll go to the library. I hope I'm not too old to be reading these lol

17. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    FWIW, Im 25 and just finished Alice a few months ago. :D

18. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Sounds pretty damn cool, but pricey. I think I would rather go to a concert for that much money.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2020