Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gold Hardware

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skerik1, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    I posted this in the Luthier portion of the forums with minimal responses. I've decided to post it here as well for other opinions:
    Howdy. Darrin Huff is making me a custom bass, and I just want some more opinions...

I want gold hardware, but he HATES gold hardware, along with a few others I've talked with.

Here's a concept bass I've made with some photo-editing software.

Gold hardware:
    http://www.ctbasses.com/~mattwilk/bass.jpg

Black Hardware:
    http://www.ctbasses.com/~mattwilk/bass2.jpg

Let me know what you think...

--Matthew

2. Hey, if it's your bass I say get what you like.

Personally, I happen to agree with Mr. Huff, and would prefer a black, or even chrome as a second choice. That being said I know there are lots of people who favor gold hardware over other colors.

I just recently passed up on a sweet used Modulus cause it had gold hardware. In my opinion, Gold hardware really stands out. Some people like this, but I don't. To me, hardware should be as understated as possible and just meld along with the shape and colors of the bass.

But like I said before, if that's what you really want, you should get it. Darrin is making you a bass according to your specifications, so I'm sure he will go the distance to get you what you want. If that's what you really want, I say just be adamant about it.

3. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Gold hardware has a "life" meaning that it will eventually die. My Warwick is 7 years old and the hardware is lighter because I polished it to get the "rust" that it develops off of it.

Companies are starting to use a satin gold, which is nice (hipshot for 1). It gets scratched up rather easily though.

The moral: It's pretty to look at, but gets old fast. Black hardware heeps a finish for a long time and chrome even longer (if it's done right).

4. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Matt,

Go black or chrome but please, leave that gold away :D

If you're going with sperzel, black sould be fine but if Darrin is fiiting hipshot ultralites then Chrome may be better as I found that black ultralites do scratch easily...

Peace, JP

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I hate gold hardware. It only shines for a few years than gets that dingy "old cheap gold plate" look to it. I hate that. It really makes my beautiful Peavey Palaedium look dingy compared to new. A bass with chrome or black looks the same years later.

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Geez...tough crowd! I happen to like all 3 colors. I think it depends on the bass and the player's own preferences.

As far as gold wearing off, it depends...my Spector is 8 years old. The A, D, and G tuners are the original Gotoh tuners, and are as gold and shiny as the day I bought the bass. The E tuner has a hipshot extender and is therefore an aftermarket piece. The tuner itself is just as gold as the other 3 keys, but the extender has faded a lot.

Black tuners, by the way, are painted black. There's no magic process that makes 'em black that makes the color more durable than gold or chrome.

The thing is, if you get well made tuners, it shouldn't matter if they're chrome, black, or gold...they should all retain their color.

7. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    The gold on my limited edition dlx 55 is holding up well and I think it looks great. The bass has a satin natural finish maple quilt top with rosewood board, and I think any other color of hardware would be detrimental to its aesthetics. IMHO, gold on the right color combination is stunning.

8. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    For that particular bass, I would prefer Black hardware. It just seems to blend in with the bass better. Gold does look great on some basses though.

9. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    400th post:D ^

10. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I prefer black hardware. My problem with gold is that the sweat of your hands tends to corrode it. My Pedulla has gold hw, but I always hold a cloth in my hand and do not touch the tuners directly because my complaint with gold is the wear characteristics.

11. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    anything BUT gold. No bling bling on my bass, please.

12. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    After talking with Darrin, he said that he can go with gold Sperzel tuners. They have a "brushed" or "satin" look to them.

As for the tremolo, he said he may be able to finish it in a satin gold as well.

So...my hardware will be gold, but it won't have that "gold tooth" look to it where it sticks out like crazy.

--Matthew

13. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I think in some cases gold is definitely the best color to go with...I'm not a fan of flashy looking stuff but for example on my next bass, there will be no dark colors on the bass whatsoever. Maple board, chestnut top, abalone block inlays. Black would stand out like a sore thumb and chrome (I dont think Fodera even does chrome) would not match any of the colors in the bass. Gold is the only way to go in certain situations. I used to hate it to but have come to realize it really fits for certain basses.

14. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    hi!

Chrome looks great on some instruments. I think it looks great on Spectors and I have gold hardware on my Fodera. On the overall, I don't like it. It is impossible to keep up and pits eventually. I would consider black or maybe a brushed aluminum look

Good luck

Rob

15. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I guess I really don't mind the old gold look...In fact I sorta like it. I guess it comes from playing saxes where old rusty looking Selmer's are highly sought after :D

Besides, what's wrong with looking old? Do people not like their wives in old age? :)

16. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I had a Peavey Palaedium that had the same problem with the gold hardware--it looked really bad after a couple of years. I replaced it with black, and it looks much better (eventually sold it to my drummer, though).

My new ABG has gold hardware, and it really looks great with the rest of the bass. I'm surprised how the gold has held up all these years. The bass is about 7 years old, and it looks brand new. They have custom Athlete covers on the back of them, so I don't know what brand they are. I guess he just used really good plating.

As for your Huff, I think the brushed sperzels will look cool. I used to have them on an old Spector I had, and they don't look like a gold tooth. Very understated, and classy. If you can get a bridge to match, that would look great.

17. eVersi0n

eVersi0n

Dec 30, 2002
    Canada, Alberta
    I'm a fan of the Gold Hardware, I wanna swap the hardware on my soon to be BTB to Gold. Go for what you think looks best, who cares if someone hates the color of hardware YOU want, its almost like someone saying "I hate the red on your shoes". IMO.

18. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Just a couple of words about this : I am also from the league of the gold hardware haters. Just don't like how it looks.

19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i like gold hardware, in fact i am planning to get the black hardware on the doubleneck replaced when i get it refitted with the rmc bridges on both necks. i have some of my basses for around a decade, and i don't have any problem with the gold hardware corroding.

20. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Red shoes? What are you thinking man?

;)