1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gold machine heads on fender jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tom4123, Aug 21, 2012.

1. tom4123

tom4123

May 30, 2012
    Was wondering whether it looks better then chrome or should I leave them chrome?

I'm upgrading a black mim 97 fretless jazz

Anyone got a pic or suggestions ?

2. might look better if you changed out all the other metal parts to match.

3. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    ^This!

I personally like Black or Chrome hardware on black basses...but I'm not you....I think.

4. tom4123

tom4123

May 30, 2012
    Well I was thinking a badass bass bridge gold, then gold knobs but keep the plate under the knobs chrome then gold machine heads and a tortoise pick guard ? What u think

5. Gold is gaudy in most cases.

6. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I am a huge advocate for tortoise guards, but for what you described, I'd go with either a black guard or a gold anodized guard.

7. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    What DanNowhere said.

I swapped out the original chrome hardware on a 2000 MIM Standard Jazz in the sunburst finish with gold replacements. For me, it was an “all or nothing” proposition. I always liked the look of Fender’s FMT Jazz with gold hardware.

8. tom4123

tom4123

May 30, 2012
    Hmm I dunno I kind of fell in love with the look of a tortoise pick guard on a black jazz. But I just can't decide about the gold hardware

9. I went gold on my first build bass and it's fine. I of course, never had a chance to see it in chrome - but the look is 'different' and likeable.

100_7907.

100_0442.

100_0441.

I'm still out for an opinion if I put on a gold p'up cover too.

10. tom4123

tom4123

May 30, 2012
    Nice !! I was wondering will any jazz bass pick guard fit on my mim ?

11. burnunit

burnunit obsolete

Nov 17, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Black and chrome is hard to beat. I like the gold better if there's some natural wood present like Joe's up there or the 82 P Walnut Special.

12. Not really - but if you don't mind a few holes needing to be redrilled, then there's a lot that will fit.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I like gold hardware, but black looks best with chrome.

14. Reprise

Reprise Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2012
    Illinois
    I built a franken-fretless many years ago w/ gold tuners & string tree, with a gold badass bridge. However, I left the cover plate in chrome. The body was a natural finish w/ red tort pickguard, and I liked how it turned out. Still looks nice, but that was 15yrs or so ago, when I set that bass up.

Recently, I purchased a jazz bass from Gord_oh with the intention of swapping my fretless neck onto the new bass. The one he sold me is black, w/ chrome hardware. I will be swapping his chrome tuners & string tree onto my neck - Gold & Black just doesn't look as nice as Chrome / Black or Black/Black.

So it depends on the body color, IMO, and I think many of the posters so far are in agreement - Black/Gold... meh... It could work with other colors, though - if you're not married to a black body, perhaps another color might go with the gold, if you've already got the h/w or just set on having it.

15. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Musicman made a limited edition bass a few years back that is basically black with gold hardware.

[​IMG]

I have a sunburst Jazz with gold hardware. Looks OK, I think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    /thread

17. tom4123

tom4123

May 30, 2012
    Should I get a random one off eBay or should I buy the right one of Pickguard.com for 60 bucks ?

18. I know for a fact that the GearHead part number 0992157000 fit on my MIM Deluxe and my MII VM Jazz.

Here's another one (part number 0992022000) that fit:::

100_7382.

The tort is behind the stock MII VM black guard there, so you can see it's the same basic profile.

Just remember that one that's made for the MII VMs will have a different VEE at the control panel.

But going from MIA or MIM Jazz will fit with a slight modification:::

100_7384.

And - YEAH --- I left a 'z' outta the name.

This is installing a MIM or MIA PG on a MII VM - so don't get confused.

19. tom4123

tom4123

May 30, 2012
    Okay cool I'll have to have a look I just don't wanna have to mess around with it I wanna be able to just Wack it on!!

20. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I love gold hardware - but it does need to be all or nothing, imo. Gold bridge and machines with a chrome bell plate would look weird to me. And on a black with tort jazz, I'd personally stick with all chrome.

I do think gold looks good on my two babies - better than chrome.

[​IMG]