Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gold medal taken away because winner couldn't pee enough

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Frank Martin, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    This is ridiculous!

Our discus-thrower, Robert Fazekas won the Athens Olympics with a new OR. he has been tested a lot of times before this, and he was negative. Now right after he won they tested him again. The people there were very rude to him, (he likened the to the Gestapo afterwards) and they did a full body-inspection, "they looked in every place possible", as he said, and then they told him to do another test.
    Now, he was very-very tired (it wa right after the match), he still had a bit of nervousness because of it, he was angry and embarrased and humiliated because of the inspections, and in this state, he couldnt produce that 75ml of urine, and when they told him that it was not enough, he said he is fed up and left.
    Even though it was not 75ml, it was still enough to do the tests, and both tests showed that he was negative, but because he didnt make the 75 ml mark despite the examiners telling him to do so, his medal was taken away...

I mean,
    ***?!?

This made me (and lots of others here) disgusted in the Olimpycs...

Also, he and another gold-medal winner said that after this, they wont go to any Olympics again.

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    But, they are also the rules he agreed to compete by, so-- sucks to be him.

3. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The examiners also were faulty in that - it says in the rules that when someone cant do the necessary urine test, he is to be taken to a polyclinic, where he is allowed to rest/sleep for up to 10 hours and then these urine tests are redone.
    however, they didnt tell him that, and didnt try to hold him back.
    Also, if his test was negative, then he didnt take drugs, and that's why this test is for - to make sure nobody uses drugs

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    He knows he won, that should be enough. He doesn't need a necklace telling that he was the best discus thrower in the world at that time.

Sorry you his situation, though.

5. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    But, as you say, he got fed up, and left. Why should they try and hold him back? If I knew I was innocent, I'd have grabbed a magazine, and a glass of water, and taken a seat for 30 minutes.

6. yikes, and the olympics committee is wondering why nobody cares about the olympics any more...especially with that coke vs. pepsi thread and this one. everyone is just being so...so stupid!

Charlie

7. boom. If you can't figure out there would be repercussions from leaving...

Still, it sucks for your country...

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Why couldn't he just have drunk a few bottles of beer? I would have just sat there and said - get me a beer!! ;)

9. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas

Wow, I'm not sure I've ever agreed with Bruce before :eek:

Don't forget the pretzels either ;)

10. I'd like to say, from a person that who can identify with him, that that's ****ing stupid. I happen to have paruresis. (look it up) It basically means that I cannot pee in front of others at all most of the time.. Stuff like this makes me angry, that is just plain stupid.

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Could someone please tell me what justifies this?

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  13. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
  14. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea, this is just retarded... Make him stand there, & drink water until he can't hold it any longer... That's what they did to us in the military for our random urinalisys tests.

15. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yeah. All this because of an anonymous accusation that "Hungarians know how to cheat on drug tests", made possibly by a rival German athlete. :mad: :spit:

There was another strange case when another weightlifter was tested right before the competition began, but his first test turned out to be positive - so they disqualified him, without having the second and third tests done, and he couldnt take part. What was the fishy part about this that he has been tested lots of times, before and even during the Olympics, and he was clean, except for this one, but the substance found there was a drug intended for longer use, years or months at least - so why would he take it?!? He could not believe it, and said it either has to be someone else's or this was falsed - he intends to take it to court, but till that happens, he's already out of the race :mad:

This Olympics is foul

16. Excatly, that's what I would have done.

17. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Why? He thought that was enogh (it was, actually) and they didnt tell him that if he didnt, he'll loose his medal.
    And he was very angry at them after those "examinations" and all that harrassing right after the match

18. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Why? I'll tell you why... That's easy,,, His choices are: piss or loose the medal... I don't see the motivation AGAINST pissing... Unless there IS something to hide.

19. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    he was negative, so there was nothing to hide