1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GOLD strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Daywalker, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Ok, so who makes a gold color coated bass string? I'd rather they not be coated with real gold, the color is all I'm concerned with. If so, how long does the coating last? I think they'll look good on my Streamers. Thanks in advance...

2. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    DR makes blue, red & black coated strings. The only gold strings AFAIK, are the Maxima/Optima 24K gold strings made in Germany. They're $50 a set. A couple of years ago I got 10 sets at a blow-out price. They're good strings, but I didn't find them to be any better than a normal stainless or nickel string. They lasted a *little* longer, but not enough to justify paying $50 a set for them now.

Slug

3. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I hear you, Daywalker. DR has like six different colors now, some of them hideous (IMHO), but yet no gold coated strings. Whattup with that?

4. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    I just hope you wouldn't mind if the "yellow" strings are gold-plated instead of a "micro/nano" exfoliating something ;) .
    As slugworth said,THE name is Optima (German brand).
    Regarding the prices,yes,I saw that certain (if not most) US dealers are charging these strings somewhere in the 50~80 bucks range wich is outrageous.
    ...but wait...take a look here:
    http://saitenkatalog.de/catalog/default.php/cPath/66_295/sort/product_sort_order/filter_id/113
    ...and choose what you like!
    I'm using the Optimas on 4 of my 5 axes and I bought the first set almost a year and a half ago_On most played bass (each day for,say,2 hrs),the Optimas showed NO sign of coating wear after more than a year,though my hands are acid-leakers.True,I began using FastFret in the past few months but even before that,no problem.
    Not only good,buddy....AWESOME!:cool:
    The above-mentioned "most played bass" is a Warwick Streamer I '91 fretless with a Padauk fretboard (the Padauk stuff is my mod on this bass...originally,it was a fretted Wenge).
    The look of the golden strings on the bare fretboard is absolutely stunning!
    ....but,hey,you didn't ask how do these strings sound...:bassist::hyper: :hyper:
    HTH!
    Regards,

5. zackattack

zackattack Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2006
    San Francisco
  6. DR makes a yellow/gold colored string.