Gold Strings???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RAM, Jul 27, 2000.

1. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I haven't spent much time comparing different strings...probably my weakest area. Anyway, I've been using DR Highbeams for quite some time, and am quite happy with them. For kicks, though, I thought I'd throw this out there...

What are everybody's opinion on gold strings, such as Maxima?

I think I used them a couple of times and found that they were fairly mellow sounding and lasted a lot longer than other strings I've used, but are SO much more expensive, as well...What does everybody else think about gold strings?
  2. Scok

Apr 20, 2000
    I bought a peavy TL-5 used and it came with gold strings, wierd. They were bright for a very long time, I can't commnet on the 'mellowness' of them though (I wasn't paying attention at the time, cloudy thoughts).

Anyway, I really liked them until I broke the e string. Since they were so expensive I said screw it and bought regular rounds.
  3. swolves

Jan 23, 2000
    gold is nonferrous(nonmagnetic)so what is the point?
    come to think of it nickel and stainless are also nonmagnetic,,intresting.
  4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Well, all strings are a combination. Usually the "Nickel" and "Steel" name is the winding. I think they are mixed with Zinc, among other things. Mixtures of metals create the magnetism.And its obviously not solid gold...just a gold coating over a core thats likely a combination of metals, if there isnt other metals mixed with the gold (which im sure there is...its almost indefinitely more miscellaneous metals than gold). So there. They should make zinc strings...theyd be flexible AND super loud!
  5. I'm using the maxima gold string thingies and I think they sound good. And they look really cool, at least they do on my bass.
  6. Well if Entwistle is using them, they can't be bad, right?
  7. jfsjbb

Aug 29, 2000
    Sorry for sitting in a little late ...

RAM, i've been using Maxima Gold Strings for almost 10 years now, and i still don't want to change. They are really expensive, but due to their gold coating they are quite resistant to my hand sweat. Maybe my sweat is more agressive than other players's.

Let me compare the average lifetime of some strings i used:

Warwicks (the "genuine" strings for my thumb 6): no matter wether i user the black labels or the yellow labels, they were down and out after no more than 40 hours of playing.

Rotosound (can't remember the exact type): 40 hours

Maxima Gold: 100 (!) hours

I do realize that some bassists want, like(?), and have(??) to change their strings even between soundcheck and gig to get a crystal clear shoeshine bright sound. Most of us, however, have to feel comfortable with the "middle age" of their strings, when they have lost their initial brightness but are not yet worn out. It's this lifespan of some 100 hours that makes the Maximas so unique and worth trying.

It's all a matter of taste, no patronizing intended.

8. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Please explain what the advantages a string made of zinc would have over more conventional materials.

I could be wrong, but I thought gold was used for corrosion resistance. A string made of pure gold would be so soft that it would be totally impossible to tune. Pure gold is not a great deal harder than lead.

Perspiration is fairly corrosive to most metals. The gold plating on gold strings just creates a barrier between the string and the corrosive perspiration.

9. samcook7

Apr 9, 2009
    I had some Maxima Gold Strings a few years ago. They lasted forever, but unfortunately they are unavailable. I have some new string designs in the work that are going to revolutionize the string industry, and I am considering a gold plated series. They will be made by Stage Ninja ( Stage Ninja will make your life easier. Check out the site.
  10. samcook7

Apr 9, 2009
    Th gold plating does not corrode as quickly.
  11. Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    I have Optima Maxima strings on my Jazz bass now, and even though I spent £35 on them (!) I really don't like them. They sound really dull to me, and slapping sounds like hell. They might last a long time, but a long time of dull sound isnt that great :) I'm sure they would suit certain types of playing, but for that type of playing I would use flatwounds.

I hate throwing away strings with life still left in them, but I'm going to have to sling these.
  12. ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    9 year thread necro with advertisement? DIE!
  13. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    So what if it's a nine year old thread? It's still a good topic worth a revive.