Gold tapes vs Cobalt Flats or What's the brightest non-round around,

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Antisyzygy, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    I'm currently having one of my Mustang PJs defretted. I'm going to put TI Jazz flats on it. I *think* they'll get where I want, but we'll see.

Antisyzygy likes this.
  2. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    I'll probably buy a second one and do that eventually. Shorties are kinda my new thing as well. I'm only keeping my long scales because one has been a longstanding favorite, and the other is my only fretless.

Also I hear you on the cobalts. I wish they made them for short scales.

At the moment I'm putting together a fretted active P shortscale with piezo with the goal of having a modern workhorse. My Mustang PJ I'll use as a passive backup.

Marial likes this.
  3. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Personally, I find the D'Addario tapes to be the brightest of the tapewounds followed VERY closely by the White Tapes.

4. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

Are the white golds and white coppers still appropriate for use with an electric instrument with magnetic pickups? The La Bella site wasn't too clear about exactly how much of the coppers is composed of bronze (and therefore magnetically inert)

5. mngnt

mngnt

Aug 9, 2015
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes

4StringTheorist likes this.
  6. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I use LaBella's white nylon coppers and I don't thing they're flatwounds under the tape. They look more like they're rounds to ne.

7. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Yes. They're just plated wrapping wire with a steel core underneath it all. All three versions work fine with standard magnetic pickups.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    4StringTheorist likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021