Gold Tone Bass Banjo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MeYHymN, Mar 10, 2006.

1. MeYHymN

MeYHymN Habitual User

Nov 7, 2004
    Charleston, WV
    Ok, I'm usually getting slammed by my bandmates and fellow local musicians for my off-the-wall ideas. Ok, so I grew out of the Daisy Rock G.A.S. phase (please don't ask) and now I'm really wondering about this . Sound bites on a website really don't tell you much. Anyone here ever actually played one of these in person. The only local "authorized" gold tone dealer apparently sells out of his garage and has a cell phone for a buisiness phone that goes to vmail after first ring, so I highly doubt he has one in stock.

Here's a link to their soundbite banjobass.ram

And a pic
  2. hodgy

May 5, 2004
    Bothell, WA
    Tech Support- Ampeg/ Mackie
    That's nutty. I want one.
  3. ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I hate that drum track in the soundclip.

But back to the bass, as much as I wouldn't want to be seen with one onstage, I'll give props that it seems like a pretty neat idea.
  4. lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

This is a REAL man's banjo!

5. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    There is a store in Saint Louis that had one of those and a bass Dobro too. I wasn't real impressed with either one. More of a novelty item IMO.
  6. I played the fretted and the fretless at a music store, and I liked the fretted waaaay better. I don't think it is a crazy idea, if I had the cash, I would pick one up myself! The only thing I wonder about is feed back when plugged in.
  7. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Q: What's the best pickup for a banjo?

A: Ford F150 ;)

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I've been playing a Goldtone Bass Banjo for about 4 years.I also own one of the very very earlier ones.when I got mine it(during the same period they also gave one to Victor Wooten and Dave Pomeroy)didn't have a resonator on the back of it(they didn't put them on them at the time)and because it didn't,the Bass response was very shallow and would escape so I suggested that they put a resonator on it and once they did everything else just fell into a very interesting sounding instrument and yes it does sound like a Bass version of a far as feed back that's not a problem at a 5 string bass,fretless bass,piccolo bass etc.the Bass Banjo has it's place in a musical setting as well,just another tool to choose from.
  9. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    kicking this post back up, as I'm curious about these lately. I play banjo on the side, so it seems like a fun crossover...

How's the acoustic volume? Banjos get hella-loud, is this thing anywhere near the volume of a standard banjo? Seems like it'd be a good acoustic option.
  10. Obese Chess

Obese Chess I'm Your New Dad

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Les Claypool has one.
  11. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    sweet and yeah I seen les play one in concert before..
  12. bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    Bass banjo, yet another sign that these are the end times.
  13. Shroom

Dec 12, 2006
    It'd be interesting to hear how that thing sounds when slapped...
  14. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT

It's not a gold tone though. It was made by a friend of his. Dan Maloney, I believe.
  15. bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    I think that's the same fun gal who posed with the Mandobass.