1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gold Tone Microbass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mp1tcb, Apr 24, 2019.

1. mp1tcb

mp1tcb

Feb 21, 2017
    Hello all- I'm thinking of picking up one of these Gold Tone micro basses for some summer fun. I've heard good things about them and I'd like to have a short scale bass in my collection. It comes with the "rubber" strings, but they make a set of round wounds that sound pretty cool too.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them or any advice on the 23 inch vs the 25? Anyway, any thoughts or comments appreciated.

Thanks and have a great day.

23incher
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/gold-tone-23-scale-acoustic-electric-microbass

25incher
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/gold-tone-25-scale-acoustic-electric-microbass

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I've got the 25 in the fretless. I don't play it enough but it's pretty nice.

3. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    I Just got the 25”, fretless, lefty! I understand from my dealer that the 25” has better intonation. Sounds great. Very close to upright bass.

4. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I have a 23” lined fretless. I’d have preferred unlined but couldn’t find one. I had started with a fretted 23” but the fretless sounds more “upright-like” and intonation isn’t the same issue as with frets - so I’m happier now. I also like the Aquila strings that come on the bass for their tone and feel and playing fretless avoids the “dents” that occur over the frets. I never tried 25” but I like the compact size of the 23” and can’t see an advantage to the longer scale - maybe with frets?

5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Some uke basses come with flatwounds.

6. Stein O

Stein O

Jun 14, 2018
    I have a 23 fretless. Very easy to play and sounds pretty good. Only thing I don´t like is a sort of "wah-wah" sound on the E and G string from 4th and up to 7th fret. This is very annoying. Changed to fresh original strings, but it doesn´t help. Very close to give up this bass. Does anyone have a suggestion about getting rid of this problem?

7. gleneg61

gleneg61

Jan 10, 2008
    Kyoto, Japan
    I have the Les Paul lookalike 23” MBE lefty lined fretless & it’s great fun to play with solid intonation but I put La Bella non rubber strings on it so feels more natural. Some nice mwah from the little fella

8. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Not a gold tone but I had a 24" uke bass for a while. Sounded nice and was a fun novelty but I came to realize it didn't have any real use so I sold it.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 19, 2021