Golden Earring the longest existing Dutch rock band.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Blazer, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    First of all Golden Earring isn't the only well known Dutch Rock band but unlike contemporary bands like The Tee Set, The Bintangs, Focus, Trace and Shocking blue, they never split up. Every one of the bands I mentioned split up at a certain moment only to reform many years later, not so with Golden Earring, they have survived for almost 50 years and 40 of them in the same line up.

Anyway it all started in The Hague in 1961

[​IMG]
    The Golden Earrings in 1965 from left to right: Frans Krassenburg (leadvocals), George Kooymans (leadvocals, guitar), Jaap Eggermond (Drums), Peter De Ronde (Guitar) and Rinus Gerritsen (Bass)

In 1961 childhood friends George Kooymans and Rinus Gerritsen started a beat group called the Tornado's only to find that the name "Tornados" already had been used, so they changed it to The Golden Earrings after a song by Peggy Lee. With Frans Krassenburg as the lead singer, Peter de Ronde on rythm guitar and Jaap Eggermont on drums they recorded a single in 1965 called "Please go"

"Going to the run" was a salute to a Hells Angels member who was a personal friend of Barry Hay. Hay describes getting a phoncall from the states every new years eve and how they used to ride bikes together, the guy died in a motoring accident making his final run.

"Going to the run" has since become a true biker song classic and many biker who perished in a motor accident had this song played at their funeral.

I saw Golden Earring a two months ago at the last gig of their 2009 tour, from what I understand, they are now taking time off and getting ready to record a new album.

So we haven't seen the last of the school band that George Kooymans and Rinus Gerritsen started in 1961.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  2. ccouch7

ccouch7

Feb 14, 2009
    Cool, I always liked this band, never knew all these details and heard some songs by them I've never heard before.
    Thanks.:cool:

3. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Eugene
    Truly a testament to their flexibility, to grow and keep current with the changes in rock through the decades.

How popular are they now?

-richard

4. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    You forgot the album "To The Hilt" (1975)
    which was released after "Switch" and features still Robert-Jan Stips on keyboards. It contains the hit "Sleepwalkin'" and is also quite prog rock sounding album. Better than "Switch" if you ask me.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  5. Emmaporkchop

Emmaporkchop Guest

Jun 23, 2009
    Always liked these guys. I wore out a couple copies of Moontan. Never knew they toured with the Who, that would have been a great show.

6. jimnyc

jimnyc

Jan 1, 2009
    I remember that bass line in Vanilla Queen! Wow! now i have to go get the cd again! Anybody have the tab for that? Had Hilt and switch albums back then..hard to find now on cd. actually saw them open for aerosmith in nyc back in early 80's or late 70's.

7. Space-Man

Space-Man

Jan 27, 2009
    I've listened to most of Moontan, it's pretty cool.

Rabidhamster and The Owl like this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    always thought they were cool because rinus gerritsen played danelectros. but i had no idea how cool he is now! he's got a doubleneck danelectro copy with a dan neck on bottom and a fender neck on top! holey moley!

http://www.golden-earring.nl/rinus/gear-basses.htm

9. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

16-Aug-48
    Barry Hay is born:

JimK likes this.
  10. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    Geweldig!!!!

11. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Here's a killer showcase of the sound of Gerritsen's double neck Dano/Fender.

He was using Peavey amps back then because they were the only ones that gave him that twang without it sounding fizzy. Note also how quickly he goes from the upper neck to the lower neck, you don't see him doing so but you'll hear it when he's there. It happens in a second.

12. It has been a few decades, it's time for them to have another big hit in the U.S.A! Another fantastic band that can't get arrested in this country..

13. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands

Check them out here, Gerritsen playing fretless and listen to that growl he got from those Peavey Amps I mentioned earlier.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021