1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Golden Earring

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AcadianBassman, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Anyone know what effect Rinus Gerritsen is using on his bass in the song Twilight Zone? I can't quite put my finger on it.:confused:

2. MartinH

MartinH

Jan 29, 2006
    Netherlands
  3. thedane

thedane

Sep 25, 2011
    I just heard that today and I was noticing that ALL the tracks in that song are very full and rich, yet not overly affected sounding - much like Radar Love.

As an engineer - to my ears it sounds more like really good Class-A recording equipment than any overt effect.

My guess it that it's a great bass going into a great rig with some very careful compression being added by probably a very expensive nice old piece of gear...AND I hear a bit of chorusing - but it's SUBTLE and very well tuned so as not to cause phase problems or floppyness in the notes.

Bottom Line: In a track that is as has the production sophistication of that song - it can be VERY hard to guess what they might really have done.

4. Thanks both. MartinH, I had seen that page - as you say interesting, thanks for the input :)
    Thedane - yeah, a bit of chorus but couldn't put my finger on it exactly. Thanks. I'll try a tiny bit of chorus just to put an edge to it.

5. Matthijs

Matthijs

Jul 3, 2006
    Amsterdam
    Sounds about right. He is a gear nut and had his own line of basses and guitars. Maybe there's also some creative micing going on? It has been a long time ago since I've seen them life (it used to be a mandatory yearly thing for every Dutch national). I remember a very good life sound, but most of al him shifting his dentures around in his mouth while concentrating on his bass solo.

6. Awesome. I'm in Canada so I have Rush as a national treasure :bassist: I think we all have to attend one of their concerts at one time or another.

7. Randy S

Randy S

Jul 7, 2008
    Western WA
    Used to cover both tunes back in the day.

I think it was just roundwound strings and well EQ'ed top line equipment.

We used to stretch Radar Love W-A-Y out with a bass solo.

Those were the days, my friends.

I did manage to catch one of their live show in about 1977.