1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Goldline and Power Amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AndretheBassist, Aug 22, 2007.

1. AndretheBassist

AndretheBassist

Jul 12, 2007
    Ok, I've searched and read though all the threads i couldn't find an answer to my problem:

I'm interested in some GK Goldline cabs (I'm upgrading to Neo later, but they will do for now). The impedence rating on the 2x10's, which I'm buying first, is 8 ohms as well as the 1x15 that is coming later. I had decided to go with a power amp and preamp instead of buying a preamp and another amp which would just mess with the tonal versatility in my opinion. The GK Backline 250 was paired with one of these cabs and gave 125 watts of output and that was at the amp's rating of 4 ohms....if your impedence needs to match the speaker's then how is this possible????

I say this because I'm not getting near the wattage I need for the price with the power amps I was looking at...here are the ones im looking at:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crown-XLS-202D-Power-Amplifier?sku=481584

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crown-Xs500-Power-Amp?sku=481583

Should I get the later one with 400w at 8 ohms and risk powering them with the max amount of wattage they can handle? Or can I go with the cheaper one set at 4 ohms and not hurt the cabs?

I doubt I'll be able to get the goldline 2x10's and 1x15 really close to each other (I get paid bi-weekly) so I'm wondering if I'm cool setting this to 4 ohms and having the cabs (rated at 8 ohms) because it appears they do it with the GK heads already. Would I be able to go to a full stack (if that matters) and not have to worry about changing amp heads out because of the differing wattage for stereo rigs or are 2 cabs not a stereo rig? (n00b questions...sorry, but it's my first non-combo endeavor).

Please help me out because I'm WAY confused here...I'm happy with 300w of wattage or w/e as long as I can get some definition over my drummer and guitarist. My guitarist plays a Genz Benz El Diablo 100w guitar combo and I'm very worried lol. I'd prefer the tonal versatility of not having GK put their spin on my preamp's tone by going through their amp, but if it really isn't going to make that much difference then let me know.

Much thanks! I love you guys! :D
    -Andre

2. StoBro

StoBro

Jun 2, 2007
    Chicagoland
    A typical solid state amp doesn't have an impedance "setting". It will deliver varying amounts of power into whatever load you plug into it. If an amp is rated for 200W into a 4ohm load, it will produce less into an 8ohm load. Probably somewhere around 120W. If you hook up a 16ohm load, the amp will produce no more than around 75W or so.

The important thing is to never hook up a load with lower total impedance than the minimum load the amp is rated for.

I've read that you can safely power a speaker with an amp that is rated for twice the power rating of the speaker. A 400W-into-8ohm amp for a 200W 8ohm speaker, for example. As long as you don't boost the bass frequencies too much and avoid wild effects and heavy distortion, I'm guessing.

Maybe one of the engineering types will post a more technical reply.

3. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    Either power amp is fine, just make sure you don't clip it and try not to make your speakers fart.

4. AndretheBassist

AndretheBassist

Jul 12, 2007
    Well I'm getting the behringer V-Amp pro rack so the compressor would probably help with making sure the clipping and such doesn't get outta hand?

I'm probly getting the $350 one because it'll pump out more wattage at 8-ohms than the others. Will I have to factor anything else in when I get the 1x15 or am I getting the 400w out of and the 2x10's when i hook em both up to my Crown Power amp?