Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Goldtone Club Bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by runeight, Jun 21, 2004.

1. runeight

runeight

Jun 6, 2004
    Greetings,

Anyone on this forum play one of these? Look's like a great instrument for the money and just about what I wish to spend.

I am just not sure of the sound capabilities. I play electric Bass but desire to play the upright.

Any thought's greatly appreciated.

runeight....

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Never heard of them. "Ergo" gets decent reviews for about half that price...

3. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Guitar store nearby had one. Selling it for around $800 if I remember correctly. Felt kinda flimsy but sounded ok. Prob ok for a practice instrument but I felt really nervous about buying one. I probably wouldn't bother. Sorry, it looked really cheap. I'd rather put my money into an Englehardt if I didn't want to spend alot.

Otherwise, I would prob go with an Ergo, but I can't say that til mine gets completed and shipped to me. Can't wait! :hyper:

4. runeight

runeight

Jun 6, 2004
    I wondered about the quality of it for sure. $800 is half of retail! I'm sure it would have to be amped being a solid body.

I guess the Engle es-9 is in the lead. Boy, this is tuff stuff! I'm not sure of any of the choices in the price range of $1500.

runeight...

5. runeight

runeight

Jun 6, 2004
    what is the "ergo" you folks talk about?

runeight...

6. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Ergo: www.ergoinstruments.com
    DonZ was the first to turn me on to them.

Sorry, I failed to mention that the Club Bass I tried was used. It looked like it was still in good condition but I wasn't impressed. But really, I'd rather save my pennies for an inexpensive REAL bass. Don't mess around. :)

7. runeight

runeight

Jun 6, 2004
    that you are right. I've looked at almost all of them, trust me! Since I live in a rural area it's not like I can get my hands on one.

Not sure what to do so I will do nothing I suppose.

runeight...

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    my old ergo 5 string..do not a pic of the new 4

Attached Files:

9. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

Nice bass. Here's my new 4 string...