1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Golf Cart Conversion

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Kam, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Kam

Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    So today I bought a Hippo steel golf pull-cart:
    [​IMG]

I also bought some foam from a fabric store.

Tonight I begin the operation of converting this thing into a sweet ride for my baby. Does anyone have any tips? They would be much appreciated! :bassist:

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    For the Twin Cities I might suggest knobbie tires. And have a set of chains at the ready.

Make sure that the surfaces that meet the bass offer a lot of square inch-age. If most of the weight is on a small area, the amount of pressure applied as you bounce down the sidewalk could spike pretty high.

3. Kam

Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    So I've been working on this thing and so far it is going well. I have 4 inches of foam over the bag holder close to the top of the cart, which spreads out the pressure from the prongs quite a bit, especially when paired with padding in my bass's soft case. I think i'm going to take that whole part out and/or figure out a way to put a piece of plywood there to spread out the surface area.

Other than that, there is a strap at the bottom which I fasten the endpin with, and then a bungie cord around the back and into the strap D-Rings on the case keep the bass from flopping out to the left or right. I'll try to take some pictures soon!

4. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    If it's windy- don't let go!:bag:

5. Kam

Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    I know! I had that experience on Friday while I was on a short jaunt to a rehearsal. A gust of wind came by and I thought the whole thing was going to do a backflip!

6. MGill

MGill

Dec 31, 2005
    London
    Wow! thats a realy realy cool idea, i LOVE it infact! why dont you start selling them, ill buy one! is it an oragnal idea? Oh and can we havea some pics as well?

7. I remember seeing something similar to this somewhere... might have been here. . . It was a cart with wheels that converted into a stool. Does anyone else remember this?

-Bennett

8. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    New Mexico. USA
    I use a three-wheeled golf cart. I think that would be more stable and easier to convert. Yes, it folds up.

9. MGill

MGill

Dec 31, 2005
    London
    I might convert a motorised one :D