golfer's elbow

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by lisa t, Feb 8, 2002.

1. lisa t

lisa t

Feb 8, 2002
    San Pedro, CA
    I'm being treated for golfer's elbow. Ibuprofen has reduced the swelling & pain. I apply heat before practicing, and ice after. My problem is at gigs, I can't do the ice/heat thing very easily.

I play fast & without a pick. My forearm seriously tenses up because i don't get a break between songs at gigs, and can't really relax it or stretch it out.

my questions: what exercises/stretches do you recommend before playing a show (or do you just jump up there?). do you do any sort of conditioning? i've been avoiding playing alot outside of practice because i want the arm to rest.

thanks for any suggestions!
  2. That's an interesting question. By golfer's elbow, I assume you're talking tendonitis. I play some sports, and really the only thing you can do for tendonitis is rest (I'm no doctor, though). If you're in a regular gigging band, that sounds next to impossible. Maybe you can make an adjustment in the way you hold your bass that might make it a little more comfortable to play. I'm curious to see some other opinions too, because I get a lot of wrist and finger pain (nothing in the elbows, though), and between band practice, golf, and softball, I'm eating Advil like candy. Getting old sucks.

By the way, who's treating the elbow? Are you doing any physical therapy in conjunction with the treatment? A good physical therapist could give you some exercises and stuff you can do to avoid future injury.
  3. lisa t

lisa t

Feb 8, 2002
    San Pedro, CA
    during the peak of my elbow situation, i was also taking mariachi guitar & guitarron lessons. but i quit those so that i could rest my arm. i haven't had the time to go to physical therapy, but am gonna try that. prescribed ibuprofen made a world of difference, my arm is much improved.

i'm hoping to get advice on stretching out or warming up before gigs. i think part of my problem is just jumping on stage "cold", playing fast, without breaks between songs. i'm also trying to low my strap and holding the bass lower.
  4. hoey222

Oct 12, 2001
    wilmington, de
    you may want to research carpal tunnel syndrome. i know you don't have carpal tunnel but the stretches they recommend are good. i've used them before long gigs and they seem to help.

try this page for some ideas on stretches

carpal tunnel

also - play with your bass height - lower may help - raising may help.

what brand bass do you play. i play a fender no problem. i also play a warwick with a figured body. that bass always irritates my wrists.

good luck