Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Goliath 3 speakers broken!!!!!Suggest me a ne 4x10!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Amoilbasso, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    I've been to my amp techs today,and I discovered that TWO(!!!!!)speakers of my Goliath3 are broken!!!
    (see the message about distortion I sent yesterday)
    The tech told me also that it is a common problem of SWR speakers!The incredible thing is that I didn't play with such a loud tone!
    So I'm going to buy a new 4x10,because replacing 2 speakers would cost me quite 500 Euros,with the great risk that sooner or later the other 2 would get broken too!
    I've tryed an EBS....WOW!!!! Great cab....but it's 4 ohm only and I can't plug in my Eden 500 in mono(8ohm only).
    So I am thinking at:
    Epifani t410,Ampeg PR 410HLF(if it is available in 8 ohm also???),Eden 410XLT(but I worry that it could have the same SWR speakers trouble).
    Your opinion is very apreciated(consider that I like Marcus'like tone for slap,and big,warm,full tone for fingerstyle).
    Thank you!!!

I AM SO HUNGRY!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Eden D-410XLT. I prefer the Goliath III, but the Eden also sounds sweet. Less definition but warmer IMO.

3. I know that the Trace Ellliot 4x10 only comes in an 8-ohm model; you might want to look into that. Alternatively, you could try to track down a couple of used EBS or Trace 4-ohm 2x10s, which would drive your WT-500 at full power.

"Angry," dude, "angry." I get hung up in mistranslations like this when I convert to Spanish, so don't sweat it.

4. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence

:p :p :p ....
    sorry....Angry,of course!

5. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    I don't like Trace cabs at all....sorry;thank you a lot anyway!:)

6. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Common? I don't think so. You can over drive any speaker.

The SWR 10" are pretty much the industry standard and tough as heck. You might get something that sounds a little different but you won't get a tougher 10" speaker.

7. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i know that you play fusion, jazz. but have you ever tried Ampeg? give them a try!
    i love these cabs!

8. john b carvalho

john b carvalho Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2001
    Kaneohe,Hawaii
    Why don't you just have the drivers reconed?It would cost you the fraction of the price for a new driver.

John

9. Somebody get this man a cheeseburger - he sounds like he's pretty hungry!:D If we don't feed him soon he might get pretty angry...

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Peter McFerrin....

Doesnt sound hispanic. Nick Espinosa on the other hand...

An Irish/hispanic blend maybe?

We got alot of that in Miami.

Peace
    Nick

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I'm curious....was it one of the newer model SWR cabs you blew? I did a gig recently where the backline was a new SWR rig........and I was really dissapointed with the rig....especialy the cab! I still have my original Goliath cab from 1988, and it smokes the newer one!

12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Are you sure that the speakers are blown? I once encountered a Goliath that I thought two drivers were blown in only to find that the screws that attach the terminals to the frame were loose...and PAS used the same screws to connect the voice coil leads to the terminal. Sounded OK when playing quiet but made god awful sounds when turned up. A simple tightening of the terminal screw was all it took.

Warning, if you do this yourself, be careful not to slip and puncture the speaker cone...that will ruin your day.

Good luck and please let me know what you find.

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ive done that before:mad:

It will ruin your day, its a good thing they were crappy speakers and the hole was small enough that some white glue plugged it up and stopped any buzzing/ wistling noises that couldve resulted.

Peace
    Nick

14. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence

Listen Nanok,
    I'm not skilfull about technocal apects of gear,but from my point of view there are only 2 reasons why a speaker should get broken:
    1)you use a too much powerfull amp;and it's not my case:Eden 500 watt-Goliath 700.
    2)the cab is old...10 years of playing for example:but my goliath is 2 years old.
    Just my 2 cents

15. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence

Thank you cool Barroso,
    I 'm going to try PR 410 HFL.;)

16. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence

Cool Rodan!:D :D :D :D

17. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence

Yes it's the last model of Goliath 3 with the chrome grill.

18. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Many thanks Billy B;
    yes I'm unfortunately sure:
    my tech took the speakers away and changed them with 2 new SWR ones:no more distortion at any volume.
    Then I told him to re-install mine ones:still distortion at mid-loud volume.:( :(
    Thank you very much;)

19. Actually, the most common cause of blown speakers is an UNDER-POWERED amp cranked too high. Even though the speaker rating may well exceed the amplifier's output rating, clipped signals from an overworked output driver result in waveforms that look like a dc current short at each peak, and can easily blow cones at a fraction of the power levels you would expect.

Also, you must also watch the pre-amp signal shape and level. Overdriving the input of your power amp can also cause clipping, and extreme speaker damage at relatively low volumes.

Just an electrical engineer's opinion.......