Goliath 4x10 and what?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rojo412, Nov 5, 2000.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I have played a few nice combinations of amp and cab at GC and have come to the conclusion that the SWR Goliath III is my favorite cabinet, hands down. The only question about it is what do owners think of them after having them for a while and how they last, how loud they are, how they hold up in a live situation, etc.

And since I'm going stack instead of combo, what head should I get? I'm considering an SWR Bass 350, GK 800 RB II, Ampeg SVT-3. What's the best? Any other suggestions?

Thanks. I'm new to the stack world.
  2. puppeteering

Mar 16, 2000
    I was a Goliath III owner for awhile. Never found myself wanting more, but THEN it got ripped off. After REALLY doing some comparison (including the SWR Goliath III, which I was willing to buy again), I opted for an Aguilar 4x10. DAMN this thing sounds good. I had an EDEN 4x10XLT for awhile, and the truth is, it sounds fantastic. The trouble is mine DEFINIETLY emphasized low-mids (200hZ?), and although that's a nice frequency to boost/cut, The Aguilar sounded a little more defined, more focused, transparent, less-colored. SOUNDS EXCELLENT on MID-HIGH LEVEL VOLUMES.No consider, how many times a week are you plannin to play, or are there other needs that need to ne me assured.
  3. The Goliath III is used by top touring pros in all styles of music, look around on TV, concerts, they're everywhere man! Buy one these and your gonna love it. It handles 700 watts , has horn level control, built to last , looks great,sounds great at high or low volume levels what more can one ask of a 410? I love mine, and suggest you consider SWR heads to pair with it, I've got the sm400s its much more than I usually need in most venues I play in.
  4. Chris S.

Chris S.

Nov 4, 2000
    I'll just second what Rick was saying above. Look at all the top pros who play them. There's a reason for that. I've got one of the original 4X10 Goliaths (with David Eden's name on the back!), and I love it. To your questions:

How does it last? This one's been going for years. How loud is it? I got one of the Goliath Jr. 2X10's for smaller gigs, if that answers your question. How does it hold up in a live situation? Great anywhere, from small clubs to large auditoriums and outdoor gigs. The frequency response seems very even, with no obvious peaks or scoops. The only drawback is it can be a bit of a bear to move around; I put a set of casters on mine and it's more manageable now.

I use an older SWR SM400S head with it, and it sounds fantastic. I can dial in exactly the frequencies I need to get MY sound in virtually any room, a nice feature. And it's got plenty of power; I don't think I've ever had to run the master volume above the 11 o'clock position (i.e., "4").

Sorry, I know I sound like a shill for the company (I'm not!). Eden stuff is great as well, as are components from several other companies, but I've been very pleased with my SWR gear. - CS
  5. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    I had a Golliath III 4x10 with their Bass 750 head for awhile but had to sell.Both are real nice but i thought the head was a bit lacking in lows.Same for the 350 I tried.Id look at Ampeg,etc for a head.I got plenty of lows thru the cab using my old Earth head.Unfortunatly,the Earth is a 4ohm unit and got funkafied when i cranked the vol up thru the 8ohm SWR cab.Good luck!
  6. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Thanks for all of the input. I appreciate it. I know the Goliath is a deffinite yes.

I'm getting mixed reviews on the head though. I was thinking Bass 350 because I can afford it, SWR recommends it, and it seems to have enough power. But ampegs have more bass? I guess I could see that, but I was trying to avoid ampeg a bit because I have a B2 combo and I don't like it very much. And no love for the GK, huh?

(Note: I'm buying this stuff at GC because I work there, so it has to be a brand we carry.)
  8. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I cranked the hell out of the amps at the store. The Goliath sounded awesome with a lot of heads, but the Bass 350 is the only one I could afford. Plus, we just sold the Goliath that was boxed up and the head would be floor stock too.

Can you bridge a GK 800RB?

I also have heard of people complaining about GK heads being unreliable. One guy even said his head caught fire!
  9. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    i know 2 people with gk700rbs and both heads are under 2 years old, and both cut out and make noises... id get a tarce elliot or a hartke head